GAMEDAY: MSOC vs. CSU Bakersfield
By Seattle University
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
ABOUT THE GAME
- No. 20 Seattle U (6-2-0) vs. CSU Bakersfield (2-5-0)
- All-time series-Seattle U leads, 12-7-3
- Home-Seattle U leads, 5-4-1
- Away-Seattle U leads, 5-3-1
- Neutral-Seattle U leads, 2-0-1
- Last meeting-Seattle U won, 2-0, at CSUB (Oct. 2, 2016)
NEWS AND NOTES
- Seattle U is coming off a 2-0 loss to Washington for the WAC/101 Club Cup on Sept. 24. The game was played in front of a sellout crowd at Championship Field. The decision also broke SU’s 21-game home win streak.
- SU is ranked No. 20 in the latest College Soccer News poll. In the United Soccer Coaches poll, the Redhawks are among those receiving votes.
- CSU Bakersfield has dropped four in a row entering Friday’s match. It lost, 1-0, at Cal Poly on Sept. 23.
- The Redhawks lead the nation in shots per game (20.5) and rank fourth in shots on goal per game (7.8). They are also eighth in corner kicks per game (7.25).
- The Redhawks defeated Drexel, 1-0, on Sept. 17. Cody Gibson scored his fifth goal in three games, as Josh Adachi made four saves to pick up his fourth shutout of the season.
- The ‘Runners were voted to finish sixth in the WAC Preseason Coaches’ poll. Defender Jamie Carey-Morrell was named to the league’s preseason All-WAC Team.
- SU outshot the Dragons, 32-4, on Sept. 17. It marked the most shots by a Redhawk unit since Oct. 5, 2007, when SU tried 39 shots against the University of Mary.
- SU scored four times in the second half on its way to a 5-2 win over Santa Clara on Sept. 14. Cody Gibson and Alex Roldan both scored two goals as the Redhawks won their 20th straight game at Championship Field.
- For the first time since SU’s return to Division I, two Redhawks scored twice in the same game. Cody Gibson and Alex Roldan each recorded a pair of goals in the win over Santa Clara.
- Seattle U is averaging 21.3 shots per game, most in Division I through seven games.
- Seattle U went to No. 22 Gonzaga and came away with a 2-0 win on Sept. 9. Cody Gibson scored two goals and Josh Adachi made a pair of saves for his third shutout of the year.
- SU took down Mercer, 2-1 in overtime, on Sept. 7. Sergio Rivas scored 1:42 into OT to lift the Redhawks to their 19th straight win at Championship Field, the longest active home win streak in Division I.
- Seattle U outshot the Bears, 28-4, in the contest. The 28 Redhawk shots are the most by an SU squad since Sept. 16, 2015, when it attempted 28 shots in a 3-0 win over Northwestern.
- Before allowing a goal to Mercer late in the first half on Sept. 7, SU had gone 308:01 without surrendering a goal at Championship Field.
- Seattle U opened the 2017 season with a pair of impressive 1-0 victories at Championship Field last weekend. The Redhawks took down Loyola Marymount on Aug. 25 before beating No. 20 New Mexico on Aug. 27. Noe Meza and Nathan Aune scored SU’s goals as Seattle U moved its home winning streak to 18 games.
- SU entered the United States Soccer Coaches Association (USSCA) Top 25 at No. 25 the week of Aug. 28. It was the Redhawks’ first appearance in the poll since last August.
- Junior Nathan Aune earned WAC Defensive Player of the Week honors after two stellar showings to open the 2017 season. Aune was key in the Redhawks holding their opponents to 10 total shots over two outings. It marks the first weekly award for the Arlington, Wash., native.
- Pete Fewing is in his 24th overall season as SU’s head coach. He has won 280 games in his career.
- Richie Grant is in his fourth year at Bakersfield. He has won over 200 games in his head-coaching career.