GAMEDAY: MSOC vs. Drexel
By Seattle University
SEPTEMBER 16, 2017
SEATTLE - (Sept. 16) Seattle University men's soccer, owners of the nation's longest home win streak, hosts Drexel on Sunday, Sept. 17. The match is slated for a 1 p.m. start at Championship Field.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (5-1-0) vs. Drexel (0-3-1)
- All-time series-First-ever meeting
- Last meeting-N/A
NEWS AND NOTES
- SU scored four times in the second half on its way to a 5-2 win over Santa Clara on Thursday night. Cody Gibson and Alex Roldan both scored two goals as the Redhawks won their 20th straight game at Championship Field.
- For the first time since SU’s return to Division I, two Redhawks scored twice in the same game. Cody Gibson and Alex Roldan each recorded a pair of goals in the win over Santa Clara.
- Seattle U is averaging 19.3 shots per game, second-most in Division I through six outings.
- Seattle U went to No. 22 Gonzaga and came away with a 2-0 win on Sept. 9. Cody Gibson scored two goals and Josh Adachi made a pair of saves for his third shutout of the year.
- The Redhawks are among those receiving votes in this week’s USSCA Top 25. They appeared in the rankings at No. 25 for a week last month.
- Drexel has yet to score in four games in 2017. It is coming off a 4-0 defeat at Washington on Thursday night.
- SU took down Mercer, 2-1 in overtime, on Sept. 7. Sergio Rivas scored 1:42 into OT to lift the Redhawks to their 19th straight win at Championship Field, the longest active home win streak in Division I.
- Seattle U outshot the Bears, 28-4, in the contest. The 28 Redhawk shots are the most by an SU squad since Sept. 16, 2015, when it attempted 28 shots in a 3-0 win over Northwestern.
- Before allowing a goal to Mercer late in the first half on Sept. 7, SU had gone 308:01 without surrendering a goal at Championship Field.
- Seattle U opened the 2017 season with a pair of impressive 1-0 victories at Championship Field last weekend. The Redhawks took down Loyola Marymount on Aug. 25 before beating No. 20 New Mexico on Aug. 27. Noe Meza and Nathan Aune scored SU’s goals as Seattle U moved its home winning streak to 18 games.
- SU entered the United States Soccer Coaches Association (USSCA) Top 25 at No. 25 the week of Aug. 28. It was the Redhawks’ first appearance in the poll since last August.
- Junior Nathan Aune earned WAC Defensive Player of the Week honors after two stellar showings to open the 2017 season. Aune was key in the Redhawks holding their opponents to 10 total shots over two outings. It marks the first weekly award for the Arlington, Wash., native.
- Pete Fewing is in his 24th overall season as SU’s head coach. He has won 279 games in his career.
- Doug Hess is in the midst of his eighth season at Drexel. He has taken the Dragons to two NCAA Tournament appearances in his career.