SEATTLE - (Sept. 13) Seattle University men’s soccer welcomes Santa Clara on Thursday, Sept. 14. The game is set for a 7 p.m. kickoff at Championship Field.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (4-1-0) vs. Santa Clara (0-5-0)
- All-time Division I series-Seattle U leads, 1-0-0
- Away-Seattle U leads, 1-0-0
- Last meeting-Seattle U won, 1-0, at Santa Clara (Sept. 11, 2015)
NEWS AND NOTES
- Seattle U went to No. 22 Gonzaga and came away with a 2-0 win on Sunday afternoon. Cody Gibson scored two goals and Josh Adachi made a pair of saves for his third shutout of the year.
- The Redhawks are among those receiving votes in this week’s USSCA Top 25. They appeared in the rankings at No. 25 for a week last month.
- Santa Clara has faced a tough slate in 2017, having played No. 3 Maryland and No. 20 Tulsa, as well as SMU and West Virginia, who are both among those receiving votes in the latest USSCA poll.
- SU took down Mercer, 2-1 in overtime, on Sept. 7. Sergio Rivas scored 1:42 into OT to lift the Redhawks to their 19th straight win at Championship Field, the longest active home win streak in Division I.
- Seattle U outshot the Bears, 28-4, in the contest. The 28 Redhawk shots are the most by an SU squad since Sept. 16, 2015, when it attempted 28 shots in a 3-0 win over Northwestern.
- Before allowing a goal to Mercer late in the first half on Sept. 7, SU had gone 308:01 without surrendering a goal at Championship Field.
- Seattle U opened the 2017 season with a pair of impressive 1-0 victories at Championship Field last weekend. The Redhawks took down Loyola Marymount on Aug. 25 before beating No. 20 New Mexico on Aug. 27. Noe Meza and Nathan Aune scored SU’s goals as Seattle U moved its home winning streak to 18 games.
- SU entered the United States Soccer Coaches Association (USSCA) Top 25 at No. 25 the week of Aug. 28. It was the Redhawks’ first appearance in the poll since last August.
- Junior Nathan Aune earned WAC Defensive Player of the Week honors after two stellar showings to open the 2017 season. Aune was key in the Redhawks holding their opponents to 10 total shots over two outings. It marks the first weekly award for the Arlington, Wash., native.
- Pete Fewing is in his 24th overall season as SU’s head coach. He has won 278 games in his career.
- Cameron Rast has been at Santa Clara for 16 seasons. He has guided the Broncos to seven NCAA Tournament appearances in his tenure.