SEATTLE – (Dec. 29) Seattle University men’s basketball wraps up the non-conference portion of its schedule on Saturday, Dec. 30, hosting UC Riverside at the Connolly Complex. The game, which tips off at 1 p.m., is the sixth of a nine-game homestand for the Redhawks and closes out the 2017 calendar year. The meeting will stream live on the WAC Digital Network. Fans can also tune in to KTTH 770 AM in Seattle or online at mynorthwest.com as Dave Grosby returns for his ninth season on air for the Redhawks.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
- Saturday, Dec. 30 at 1:00 p.m. PT
- Connolly Complex, Seattle, WA
- Game Notes
- Live Stats
- Listen on KTTH 770 AM
- Watch on the WAC Digital Network
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (10-6) vs. UC Riverside (5-8)
- All-time series - Series tied, 1-1
- Last meeting - Seattle U 69, UC Riverside 68 (Nov. 25, 2013)
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Redhawks enter their final non-conference game with a 10-6 record.
- The 10 wins marks the most non-conference victories since joining the Western Athletic Conference in the 2012-13 season. The previous high was eight, achieved in 2013-14 (8-5 non-conference) and 2016-17 (8-7 non-conference).
- The Redhawks are 9-1 at home this season with the lone blemish being an 81-59 setback to Cal on Dec. 19. They had opened the season with a seven-game streak that marked the longest home win streak since the 2014-15 season when they won six straight from Feb. 17, 2015 (vs. Utah Valley) to March 23, 2015 (vs. Colorado).
- Jordan Hill had 23 points, while Aaron Menzies and Matej Kavas added 20 apiece in the Redhawks’ 95-89 win over Nicholls State on Dec. 23. That marked the first time this season that three players had scored 20 or more points. It was also the fourth time that at least two players had achieved the feat. Hill had 21 points and Josh Hearlihy added 20 against Saint Martin’s on Dec. 13. On Nov. 12 vs. Puget Sound when Richaud Gittens poured in 26 points and Hearlihy added 23. The Redhawks also had a pair of 20-point efforts on Dec. 3 vs. Eastern Washington when Kavas had 26 points and Hearlihy added 20.
- Junior center Aaron Menzies finished with 13 points and 14 rebounds on Dec. 28 vs. Grambling State, marking his second straight outing with a double-double, and his team-leading sixth of the season.
- Seattle U is averaging 81.8 ppg, which ranks first in the WAC. That mark includes two games where they have surpassed the century mark, as well as three 90-plus point efforts.
- Matej Kavas has led the Redhawks in scoring seven times through 16 games and has scored in double figures in all but one game played. The sophomore guard/forward has hit the 20-point mark six times, while his career-high sits at 27, a feat achieved vs Detroit Mercy on Nov. 18.
- In games played through Dec. 28, Seattle U is ranked in the top 50 nationally in seven team statistical categories. The Redhawks are seventh in the nation in 3-pters (158), sixth in free-throw percentage (79.1), fourth in total assists (257), eighth in 3-pt FG attempts (421), sixth in rebounds (605), 37th in 3-pt FGs per game (9.9) and 24th in FTs made (238).
- Matej Kavas is fifth in the nation with 50 made 3-pters while Aaron Menzies ranks 10th in FG% (67.8).
- The Redhawks lead the Western Athletic Conference in scoring (81.8 ppg), free-throw percentage (79.1), 3-pt FG% (37.5) and 3-pt FGs made (158, 9.9 per game). They also rank second in FG% (47.7) and third assists per game (16.1).
- Matej Kavas ranks third in the WAC in scoring (18.1 ppg), second in 3-pt FG% (48.5) and first 3-pt FGs made (50, 3.3 per game). Aaron Menzies ranks second in blocks (31, 1.9 per game) and FG% (67.8), and third in rebounds per game (7.4). Jordan Hill is tied for second in 3-pt FGs (35, 2.5 per game), is third in steals (22, 1.5 per game) and fourth in assists (63, 4.2 per game), Richaud Gittens is first in steals (24, 1.6 per game) and four Redhawks rank in the top 10 in 3-pt FG percentage.
UPCOMING TICKET DEALS
Catch all five of the Redhawks' KeyArena Western Athletic Conference games this season for a great low price! Save 50% on single-game ticket prices by purchasing a "WAC PACK." Mini plan prices start as low as $25. Click here to purchase.
GET YOUR 2017-18 TICKETS!
Select single-game tickets for the Redhawks’ remaining home games are available through Ticketmaster.com by searching “Seattle University Men’s Basketball” or call 206-398-GOSU (4678) or visit GoSeattleU.com/SUTickets for more information.