MESA, Ariz. – (April 28) After upsetting the #3 seed New Mexico State in the quarterfinals, the Seattle University women’s tennis team exits the Western Athletic Conference tournament after a 4-2 loss to UMKC in the semifinals on Saturday morning at the Mesa Tennis Center.
The Redhawks started the match with a strong doubles showing. Michelle Lui and Kelli Woodman paired up against UMKC’s top team and beat them 6-3, while Hannah Gianan and Kyra Jung won their match at #2 6-3 to clinch the doubles point.
Despite taking the early 1-0 lead with the doubles point, the Redhawks fell short in singles. Jung won her match to start off singles 6-4, 6-2 at #3, but that would be the only singles win for the day. The ‘Roos followed with four straight wins to complete the come-from-behind win and advance to the final.
“Our team really brought it today and I’m so proud of them,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “We fought so hard on every court and just came up a little short. Everyone left everything they had out there and it was just a great effort. We had a great season and are progressing as a program every year.
“We thank our seniors so much for their efforts and what they’ve meant to our program.”
Tennis Match Results
Seattle U vs UMKC
Apr 28, 2018 at Mesa, Ariz.
(Mesa Tennis Center)
UMKC 4, Seattle U 2
- Ladutska,Aliona (UMKC) def. Lui, Michelle (SU) 7-5, 6-1
- Fries,Katie (UMKC) def. Gianan, Hannah (SU) 6-3, 6-3
- Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Johnson,Melinda (UMKC) 6-4, 6-2
- Grechkina,Yana (UMKC) def. Woodman, Kelli (SU) 6-4, 6-3
- Vale,Thanushree (UMKC) def. McCollister, Kali (SU) 6-1, 6-3
- Ball, Gace (UMKC) vs. Lily-Ana Kreutzer (SU) 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
- Lui, Michelle/Woodman, Kelli (SU) def. Johnson,Melinda/Grechkina,Yana (UMKC) 6-3
- Gianan, Hannah/Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Ladutska,Aliona/Ball, Gace (UMKC) 6-3
- Fries,Katie/Vale,Thanushree (UMKC) vs. McCollister, Kali/Lily-Ana Kreutzer (SU) 5-4, unfinished
Seattle U 9-14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,5,1,4)