MESA, Ariz. – (April 27) The Seattle University women’s tennis team upset the #3 seed New Mexico State with a 4-1 victory at the Western Athletic Conference Tournament Friday morning.
The Redhawks were the #6 seed, but that didn’t affect them. They got off to a great start winning the doubles point right off the get-go. Hannah Gianan and Kyra Jung, and Michelle Lui and Kelli Woodman showed why they were selected to the All-WAC doubles second team. Gianan and Jung got it started with a commanding 6-1 win in the second flight, and after NM State won at #3, it all came down to court #1. Lui and Woodman came up with a clutch 6-4 win to clinch the doubles point.
The Aggies tied the score 1-1 with a win at #1, but that would be it. Looking to complete the upset, the Redhawks won the next three matches. Lily-Ana Kreutzer got it all started with a 6-0, 6-3 win at #6, Kelli Woodman took her match at #4 6-3, 6-4, and Jung sealed the victory with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 win at #2.
“Just an amazing effort by our team today,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “The doubles point is always so crucial and that really helped up getting that. We battled on every court, and I’m just so proud of these ladies. These conditions are so tough but we handled them so well and showed our toughness. We’re going to rest and recover now and get ready for UMKC tomorrow morning as we know it’ll be another tough challenge but we’re so looking forward to it.”
The Redhawks will take on the #2 seed UMKC in the semifinal tomorrow at 9 a.m. The winner will move on to the championship on Sunday at 9 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Seattle U vs New Mexico State
Apr 27, 2018 at Mesa, Ariz.
(Mesa Tennis Center)
Seattle U 4, New Mexico State 1
- Keizerward, Rebecca (NMSU) def. Lui, Michelle (SU) 6-0, 6-2
- Harlas, Lindsay (NMSU) vs. Gianan, Hannah (SU) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
- Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Janssen, Quinty (NMSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
- Woodman, Kelli (SU) def. Rubio, Yadira (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
- Arnaudova, Eli (NMSU) vs. McCollister, Kali (SU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), unfinished
- Lily-Ana Kreutzer (SU) def. Colvee, Helena (NMSU) 6-0, 6-3
- Lui, Michelle/Woodman, Kelli (SU) def. Harlas, Lindsay/Keizerward, Rebecca (NMSU) 6-4
- Gianan, Hannah/Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Janssen, Quinty/Rubio, Yadira (NMSU) 6-1
- Arnaudova, Eli/Colvee, Helena (NMSU) def. McCollister, Kali/Lily-Ana Kreutzer (SU) 6-4
Seattle U 9-13
New Mexico State 8-15
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,4,3)