GAMEDAY: WSOC at Utah Valley
By Seattle University
SEPTEMBER 29, 2017
SEATTLE – (Sept. 23) Seattle University women’s soccer makes the trip to Utah Valley on Saturday, Sept. 30.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (4-5-1) at Utah Valley (3-8-0)
- All-time series-SU leads, 12-1-1
- Home-SU leads, 6-0-0
- Away-SU leads, 5-0-1
- Neutral-Series is tied, 1-1-0
- Last meeting-Seattle U won, 2-1, at WAC Tournament (Nov. 4, 2016)
NEWS AND NOTES
- Seattle U heads to UVU for a game that will not count in the WAC standings.
- The Redhawks dropped a 2-1 double-overtime game at Gonzaga on Sept. 24. Jennifer Plummer scored and Mackenzie Curry made a career-high seven saves in net.
- SU settled for a 1-1 tie with Portland on Sept. 22. Jessie Ray scored her fourth goal in four games and Mackenzie Curry logged four saves.
- Jessie Ray and Mackenzie Curry were named WAC Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively. Ray leads the league with seven goals, while Curry posted 11 saves in two outings last weekend.
- Utah Valley is on a four-game losing streak. It is coming off a 3-0 loss to BYU, where the Wolverines outshot the Cougars, 10-8.
- SU tops the WAC with 2.1 assists per game. It is ranked 30th nationally, as 15 different Redhawks have registered an assist this year. Nationally, only Stanford has more players with a helper in 2017.
- Seattle U won, 4-0, at Portland State on Sept. 17. Jessie Ray scored two goals and assisted on another, as the Redhawks claimed their third shutout of the season.
- Jessie Ray leads the WAC in goals per game (0.78) this season. The sophomore leads the conference with seven goals in 2017.
- SU dropped a 3-0 decision at Washington on Sept. 15. Both sides tried eight shots in the contest at Husky Soccer Field.
- SU fell, 4-1, to Santa Clara on Sept. 11. Jessie Ray scored her fourth goal of the season and the Redhawks outshot the Broncos, 14-12, at Championship Field.
- Breanna DeWaal paces UVU with three goals in 2017. Brooklyn Nielsen has a 1.75 goals against average in net.
- Leahi Manthei set a program Division I record with four goals in a 5-3 win at Idaho on Sept. 4. The freshman came off the bench to score a goal in the first half and then three in the second frame. She earned WAC Offensive Player of the Week recognition for the showing.
- The win at Idaho marked SU’s first comeback from a two-goal deficit to win in Division I history.
- Seattle U recorded a 2-0 showing at the Outrigger Classic at the University of Hawaii Aug. 26-28. SU beat Pacific, 3-0, and Hawaii, 2-0. Jessie Ray earned Tournament MVP and WAC Offensive Player of the Week honors, as the sophomore scored in both games.
- Coach Julie Woodward, in her 21st season at SU, has guided the Redhawks to three NCAA Tournament appearances in the last four years. She has 279 career victories.
- Chris Lemay is in his first season as Utah Valley head coach. He spent the last four seasons as the associate head coach at Cal.
- For a fifth straight year, SU was voted as favorites in the WAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Stephanie Spiekerman, the reigning WAC Defensive Player of the Year, was chosen WAC Preseason Defensive Player of the Year.