GAMEDAY: WSOC at Gonzaga
By Seattle University
SEPTEMBER 23, 2017
SEATTLE – (Sept. 23) Seattle University women’s soccer heads to Gonzaga on Sunday, Sept. 24.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (4-4-1) at Gonzaga (7-1-1)
- All-time series-SU leads, 5-2-0
- Home-SU leads, 3-1-0
- Away-SU leads, 2-1-0
- Last meeting-Seattle U won, 1-0, at SU (Sept. 18, 2016)
NEWS AND NOTES
- SU settled for a 1-1 tie with Portland on Sept. 22. Jessie Ray scored her fourth goal in four games and Mackenzie Curry made four saves.
- Seattle U won, 4-0, at Portland State on Sept. 17. Jessie Ray scored two goals and assisted on another, as the Redhawks claimed their third shutout of the season.
- With eight assists in the win at Portland State, SU jumped to 19th in assists per game (2.5) nationally. It leads the WAC with 21 assists through nine outings.
- Jessie Ray leads the WAC in goals per game (0.78) this season. The sophomore leads the conference with seven goals in 2017.
- SU dropped a 3-0 decision at Washington on Sept. 15. Both sides tried eight shots in the contest at Husky Soccer Field.
- Gonzaga is 7-1-1 this season, including a 3-2 win over Memphis on Sept. 17. Sunday marks the Zags’ final non-conference contest.
- SU fell, 4-1, to Santa Clara on Sept. 11. Jessie Ray scored her fourth goal of the season and the Redhawks outshot the Broncos, 14-12, at Championship Field.
- India Jencks leads the Zags with nine goals in eight games this year. Sophia Viviano has recorded four goals and five assists in 2017.
- Leahi Manthei set a program Division I record with four goals in a 5-3 win at Idaho on Sept. 4. The freshman came off the bench to score a goal in the first half and then three in the second frame. She earned WAC Offensive Player of the Week recognition for the showing.
- The win at Idaho marked SU’s first comeback from a two-goal deficit to win in Division I history.
- Seattle U recorded a 2-0 showing at the Outrigger Classic at the University of Hawaii Aug. 26-28. SU beat Pacific, 3-0, and Hawaii, 2-0. Jessie Ray earned Tournament MVP and WAC Offensive Player of the Week honors, as the sophomore scored in both games.
- Coach Julie Woodward, in her 21st season at SU, has guided the Redhawks to three NCAA Tournament appearances in the last four years. She has 279 career victories.
- Chris Watkins is in his first season at Gonzaga. He spent the last 20 seasons as an assistant at BYU.
- For a fifth straight year, SU was voted as favorites in the WAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Stephanie Spiekerman, the reigning WAC Defensive Player of the Year, was chosen WAC Preseason Defensive Player of the Year.