Seattle University Women’s Soccer Falls Just Short To Utah, 4-3
Courtesy: Seattle University

The Seattle University women’s soccer team continually fought back from an early deficit, but the Utah Utes kept the Redhawks at a distance for most of the match and held on for a 4-3 victory Friday night at Ute Field.


With Seattle University down 2-0, the comeback started in the 38th minute when Kassandra Riozzi (Marysville, Wash.) sent a long ball down the field, drawing Ute goalie Amy Edman away from the net. Pfeiffer Bloecker (Seattle, Wash.) beat Edman to the ball and lofted a shot over her head and into the net for her first career goal. Bloecker threatened to tie the match just 12 seconds later, but Edman made the save.


Again down by two goals, Seattle struck again 12 minutes into the second half, as Jamie Coe (Duvall, Wash.) sent a ball to Kara Kuttler (Redmond, Wash.) out wide. Kuttler sent a cross into the box, and Kahlyn Keilty-Lucas (Minneapolis, Minn.) was able to get off a shot while sliding towards the ball, beating Ute goalie Emalee Rogers for her second goal of the season. Coe earned her first assist of the year, while Kuttler once again tied Riozzi for the team lead in assists with her fourth helper on the play.


The Redhawks made one final comeback late in the match, as Bloecker beat her defender and advanced the ball down the field, finding Kuttler streaking into the box. With 3:15 remaining in regulation, Kuttler sent a one-timer past Rogers for her fourth goal of the season, while Bloecker earned her first career assist. Unfortunately, time ran out before Seattle University could attempt to complete the comeback.


Utah (8-8-2) took the lead less than seven minutes into the match after a flurry of action in front of the Seattle net. Lauren Hair’s shot hit the post but deflected directly to Kelly Isleib, whose shot was saved by Redhawk goalie Madison Goverde (Snohomish, Wash.). Chelsea Forbes collected the rebound and buried her own shot into the back of the net for her second goal of the season.


In the 27th minute, Forbes set up the Utes’ second goal by slotting a pass into the box. Katy Reineke made a run and sent a one-timer from 15 yards out past Goverde for her fifth goal of the season. Mallory Mitamura and Lauren Porter threatened to increase Utah’s lead later in the first half, but Goverde was able to make the save on both shots.


The Utes took advantage of a Seattle foul within its own box with just over two minutes remaining in the first half, as Hair converted on the penalty kick opportunity for her second goal of the season, giving Utah a 3-1 lead. After the Redhawks came within one again, Hair earned her second goal of the match in the 66th minute, receiving a pass from Anne Shallenberger on an attack and using her left foot to send the ball into the upper right corner of the net.


Seattle University had not given up four goals in a match since losing to UC San Diego, 4-2, on Sept. 10, 2005. Goverde finished with three saves for the Redhawks. Utah outshot Seattle, 19-14, as the Utes earned seven corner kick opportunities, all in the first half, while the Redhawks picked up five corner kick chances in the second half after not earning any before halftime.


Seattle University (8-4-3) spends the weekend in Utah before facing Utah Valley University Monday, Oct. 27, beginning at 2 p.m. local time. The Redhawks then return home to face Cal State Bakersfield Friday, Oct. 31, beginning at 2 p.m. at Championship Field.