In a reverse of the previous night's contest, it was the starting pitcher for Seattle University who put together a solid starting performance, with the Redhawk offense doing enough for a 5-2 victory over BYU Saturday afternoon at Bannerwood Stadium.

Garrett Anderson (Kennewick, Wash.) allowed just three hits and one walk in seven innings of work, throwing 109 pitches, including 65 strikes, on the way to his team-high fifth victory of the season. Anderson seemingly got better as his outing moved along, setting down nine of the last ten Cougar batters after stranding five BYU runners on base in the first four innings.

Ryan Somers (Sammamish, Wash.) led off the bottom of the second inning with a single, followed by a single from Steve Kirbach (Kirkland, Wash.), making his first start in right field for the Redhawks. Nick Latta (Tacoma, Wash.) hit a bouncer deep into the hole at shortstop, and Austin Hall's overthrow allowed Kirbach to come around and score. Marcelino Morales (Pasco, Wash.) hit a grounder to second baseman Adam Law, but he was able to beat Hall's relay throw to first base, giving Brian Olson (Black Diamond, Wash.) the chance to score.

In the third inning, Riley Tompkins (Lynnwood, Wash.) drew a one-out walk and advanced to third on a successful hit-and-run play with Nate Roberts (Silverdale, Wash.), who sent a ground ball through the abandoned hole between first and second base. Somers sent a line drive into left field, where Christian Mua made a diving catch, but Tompkins was able to come in to score the Redhawks' third run of the game.

Seattle U added a run in the fifth inning when Somers came in to score on a wild pitch. In the seventh inning, Roberts led off with a walk, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from Somers, and reached third on a single by Kirbach. Olson drew a walk to load the bases, forcing BYU to replace Tyler Westensee with James Lengal. Lengal struck out Latta, but then committed a balk that scored Roberts to give the Redhawks a 5-0 lead.

After Jake Chutney (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) pitched a perfect eighth inning, Eric Yardley (Richland, Wash.) came on in the ninth inning, but gave up a leadoff single to Jaycob Brugman. Hall hit a ground ball to third base, but Latta hesitated before throwing to second base, allowing Brugman to advance safely.

After Alex Wolfe hit into a double play, pinch hitter Kelton Caldwell walked and stole second base. Dillon Robinson's ground ball to the right side was mishandled by Tompkins, allowing Brugman and Caldwell to score unearned runs. Yardley induced a ground ball to second base from Adam Law to end the game, ending the Redhawks' three-game losing streak.

Cameron Keysor started the game for BYU and took the loss, allowing four hits, two walks, and three runs, two of them earned, in three innings of work. The Cougars were held to four hits by the Redhawk pitchers, while Trent Oleszczuk (Beaverton, Ore.) and Kirbach each finished with two hits for Seattle U.

Seattle University (16-15) begins a busy week with a game at Husky Ballpark against the University of Washington Tuesday, April 17, beginning at 5 p.m. The Redhawks return to Bannerwood Stadium for the next three games, hosting British Columbia Wednesday, April 18, at 4 p.m. before welcoming Concordia University for a two-game set Friday, April 20, at 6 p.m. and Saturday, April 21, at 1 p.m.

More in Baseball