The Seattle University men's soccer team took the early lead Sunday, but Gonzaga scored twice in the span of three minutes and 15 seconds to snatch a 2-1 victory over the Redhawks at Gonzaga Soccer Field.

After Gonzaga earned a couple of early chances, Seattle U jumped on the scoreboard in the 15th minute, as Marshall Kosaka (Burien, Wash.) set up the play with a pass through the Bulldog defense. Race Sciabica (Bellevue, Wash.) controlled the pass and converted from 15 yards out to put the Redhawks ahead.

Midway through the first half, Gonzaga's offense kept possession, allowing the Bulldogs to take three shots in a two-minute span. However, all three shots sailed wide, and the Redhawks maintained their 1-0 lead at halftime despite being outshot in the first half, 5-2.

Both teams created solid scoring chances early in the second half, starting with Gonzaga's Connor Bevans getting inside the box before having his shot blocked in the first minute of play after halftime. Three minutes later, Sciabica challenged Bulldog goalie Ryan Caballero, but Caballero turned his attempt at a second goal away.

In the 57th minute, Hamza Haddadi (Shoreline, Wash.) took a shot from 18 yards out, but Caballero was there for the easy save. The Bulldogs enjoyed a flurry of shots later in the half, but Jake Feener (Rocklin, Calif.) was able to catch one shot attempt by Bevans, and the Redhawk defense blocked another Bevans attempt as well as shots from James Matern and Alec Cutter within a minute of each other.

Gonzaga (1-1-0) finally broke through in the 71st minute, as Lars Ludwigs used traffic within the box to send a shot past Feener to tie the match at 1-1. Miguel Gonzalez (Yelm, Wash.) had a chance to put the Redhawks back on top, but his scoring chance from 10 yards out was easily corralled by Caballero.

With just over 16 minutes remaining in regulation, Clark Phillips dribbled down the left side of the field and sent a crossing pass to Bevans, who converted for his first goal of the season to put Gonzaga ahead, 2-1. Seattle U increased its offensive pressure, but a shot by Brady Ballew (Marysville, Wash.) sailed wide and a header from Jens Klitgaard (Nykobing-Falster, Denmark) was caught by Caballero.

The Redhawks continued looking for the equalizing goal with three shots in the final 10 minutes of regulation, but the Gonzaga defense turned all of them away. Caballero was credited with three saves for the Bulldogs, while Feener earned three saves for the Redhawks. Sciabica led the Redhawks with four total shots, while Bevans earned a match-high six shots for Gonzaga.

Seattle University (1-1-0) will have over a week of practice before heading to Sacramento, Calif., to face Sacramento State Wednesday, Sept. 5, beginning at 5 p.m. The Redhawks next play at Championship Field Sunday, Sept. 16, against UC Santa Barbara starting at 3 p.m.

To get all the news about Seattle U men's soccer, as well as the 19 other SU sports, directly to your email inbox, go to and click on "Get E-News" in the top right corner.

To catch all the action this season, visit or call the Redhawk ticket office at (206) 398-GOSU (4678) to purchase season tickets. Men's and women's soccer season tickets are $75 apiece for reserved seats and $50 for general admission. Single game tickets are available at the gate 60 minutes prior to kickoff before each match.