Behind an in sync offensive attack and a solid backline, the Seattle University men's soccer team earned a 2-0 shutout victory over Sacramento State Sunday afternoon at Championship Field. A pair of Marshall Kosaka (Burien, Wash.) goals helped the Redhawks snap a seven-game skid and earn their first conference win of the year. With victory, SU improves to 2-8-2, 1-4 MPSF, while CSUS falls to 6-6-2, 2-3 MPSF.

Throughout the 90-minute battle, Seattle U continuously pushed the pace of play. In their best all-around performance of the year, strong play in the midfield prevented the Hornets from sending in any serious attempts on goal.

 "We've been getting better and better, and we've put ourselves in position to win a lot of games over the past month.  I think we were waiting to take advantage of some of the chances we could create. We expected this (outcome), but it is welcomed for sure," said Brad Agoos.

The Redhawks took control of the game early and never let up. In the 12th minute, there was a scramble in the CSUS box. Kosaka grabbed the loose ball and found an opening from seven yards out to score the eventual game-winner.

Following the SU tri-captain's goal, the Redhawks continued to put pressure on the Hornet defense and worked to maintain possession of the ball throughout the rest of the match.

After several skillful runs deep into the Sacramento State box throughout the second half, their efforts were rewarded at the 88:38-minute mark. Kosaka intercepted a Hornet cross near the midfield line and sprinted down the field. He was able to beat the CSUS backline and sent in an insurance goal in a one-on-one effort with the Sacramento State goalkeeper Ceasar Castillo.

Despite not seeing net, forward Mikey Ramos (Spokane Valley, Wash.) was a workhorse for the SU offense. He tallied 10 shots in the match, including five on frame.Seattle U would go on to outshoot Sacramento State 23-7, with an 8-2 on target advantage.

Defensively, freshman Jens Klitgaard (Nykobing-Falster, Denmark) and junior Ryan Blair (Albuquerque, N.M.) helped create an impenetrable backline. The duo made several last second stops, preventing the Hornet strikers from getting off any potential goal-scoring opportunities.

In goal, junior Marshall Reese (Portland, Ore.) earned his first career victory, behind a pair of saves.

"There were a lot of nerves (today), but we really wanted to get a win. We were able to get a shutout (and) score (a second) goal ... The guys did great and I'm proud of them," concluded Agoos.

The Redhawks will remain at home for a second consecutive weekend of conference action. SU will host New Mexico on Friday, Oct. 21, in a 3:30 p.m. match. Two days later they host UNLV, in a 1 p.m. game.

More in M. Soccer