Despite a 11-2 run to open the second half, Seattle University men's basketball (3-4) found themselves in too large of a deficit to overcome, and fell to cross-town foe Washington (5-4) in the team's annual matchup, 87-74.

"There's always a lot of hype surrounding this game, and [Washington] came out with great energy and motion," said head coach Cameron Dollar. "The first time there was a loose ball, they dove to the ground, and we were standing. They scored in transition, and were great in the press, but our inability to score early on really set the tone for the game."

The Huskies opened up the contest taking a four point lead, 4-0, and increased their lead, 6-2, on a layup by Aziz N'Diaye, but the Redhawks fought back to come within one two different times before the first media timeout.

Down 14-9 with 13:51 remaining in the first half, the Redhawks and Huskies traded baskets, but a UW run including five straight points by Desmond Simmons put Seattle U down by eight, 19-11 with 13:12 remaining.

Clarence Trent (Tacoma, Wash.) added three points for SU on a layup at 12:07, and the following extra point as he was fouled, to bring the Redhawks back within five, 19-14. The Huskies then went on a 7-0 run over the next three minutes to take their first double digit lead, 26-14.

Washington held on to a double digit lead through the under-eight media timeout, leading by as many as 16, 32-16, with 7:43 remaining. Six different Huskies contributed during the 13-2 run.

Scoreless for nearly five minutes, SU's Chad Rasmussen (University Place, Wash.) hit a three-pointer at 4:55, as the Huskies led, 40-19.

For the remaining five minutes of the half, scoring on each side was nearly even, with the Huskies narrowly outscoring the Redhawks, 9-8, to hold onto a 49-27 lead at the half.

The Redhawks emerged from the halftime break with renewed offensive domination, going on an 11-2 run over the first two and a half minutes of the second half. D'Vonne Pickett Jr. (Seattle, Wash.) and Rasmussen fueled the run, each hitting two baskets, to bring SU within 13, 51-38.

Following a UW free-throw, Scott Suggs and Sterling Carter (Seattle, Wash.) traded threes to bring the score to 55-41 with 14:49 remaining.

The Huskies went on a 6-0 run to lead, 62-41, over the next two minutes, but two straight Redhawk threes by Rasmussen and Trent brought the score to 64-47 at the under-12 media timeout.

Seattle U matched UW, point for point, 6-6, over the next almost three minutes, to remain down by 17, 71-54, at the 10:00 mark.

Carter added a three to decrease the margin to 16, 77-61, with 6:38 left in the contest and despite SU outscoring UW, 13-10, over the remainder of the contest, the Huskies came away with the victory, 87-74.

UW increased their eight-game winning streak over SU, now leading the all-time series, 24-4.

Rasmussen led the Redhawks with 19 points, a season-high, and Trent also scored in double figures with 12 points. Washington was led by Suggs with 24 points, as well as four other Huskies who scored in double figures. Simmons and N'Diaye recorded double-doubles for the Dawgs.

UW outshot SU overall, 54.4 to 37.3 percent, but the Redhawks led in three-point percentage (38.5 percent to 36.4 percent). The Huskies also led from the free-throw line (77.8 percent to 51.9 percent). UW also outrebounded, 42-37, but committed more turnovers, 12-10.

At the half, the remaining members of the 1952-53 SU and UW men's basketball teams were honored and presented with a commemorative plaque. The NCAA West Regional in Corvallis, Ore. that season marked the first ever meeting between the two teams.

Seattle U remains at home, with four straight home games over the next month, next hosting Jackson State on Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. Three straight non-conference home games precede the Redhawks' first conference game on Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. as they host Idaho.

More in M. Basketball