PHOENIX – On a brutally hot day at the GCU Tennis Facility, Seattle U women’s tennis competed in their third conference match of the season as they took on the UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros on Saturday morning in a neutral-court matchup. Unfortunately for the Redhawks, UTRGV, already boasting a win over the weekend, was able to notch another one as they came out on top with a final score of 6-1.
Sophomore Kyra Jung garnered the Redhawks’ only point in a solid 6-1, 6-1 victory over UTRGV’s Marine Darzyan. Junior Kali McCollister came incredibly close to a point of her own, just barely falling in a 6-7 (4-7), 4-6 match, while senior Lily-Ana Kreutzer (2-6, 1-6) fought hard but was unable to overcome her opponent’s onslaught. Freshmen Martina Asciuto (2-6, 0-6) and Aranza Alvarez-Sanabria (1-6, 1-6) both played valiantly while adjusting to their first weekend of collegiate conference play. Finally, sophomore Hannah Gianan had an uncharacteristic 0-6, 0-6 loss to round out singles play for Seattle U.
The Redhawks fared little better in doubles, with two out of three teams getting swept by the Vaqueros. McCollister and freshman Hannah Grossman were the only duo to win a game in a 2-6 loss, while the team of Alvarez-Sanabria and classmate Jillian Rasmussen, as well as the Gianan/Kreutzer pair, both lost, 0-6.
“It was overall very tough for the team today. I don’t want to take anything away from UTRGV – they were strong and determined,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “Kyra was simply awesome, and played her heart out. Kali played very well, despite the sun and heat; that match could have gone either way.
“This was not the best start for conference play, but we learned a lot of valuable lessons,” he continued. “Each of us came away from this weekend with a better understanding of what it will take to be successful.”
Seattle U will get a short break from conference play as they face Cal State Fullerton on Wednesday, March 27 at the Jupiter Tennis Center. Play is scheduled to begin at 8:30 AM.
Seattle U vs. UT Rio Grande Valley
March 24, 2019 at Phoenix, Ariz.
(GCU Tennis Facility)
UT Rio Grande Valley 6, Seattle U 1
1. Ibarra, Dominique (UTRGV) def. Gianan, Hannah (SU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Darzyan, Marine (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-1
3. Walker, Michelle (UTRGV) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, Aranza (SU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Aleksovska, Doris (UTRGV) def. Asciuto, Martina (SU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Waduge, Nethmi (UTRGV) def. McCollister, Kali (SU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Putz, Sandra (UTRGV) def. Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Darzyan, Marine/Ibarra, Dominique (UTRGV) def. Gianan, Hannah/Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 6-0
2. Aleksovska, Doris/Walker, Michelle (UTRGV) def. Rasmussen, Jillian/Alvarez-Sanabria, Aranza (SU) 6-0
3. Putz, Sandra/Sasaroga, Katarina (UTRGV) def. Grossman, Hannah/McCollister, Kali (SU) 6-2
Seattle U 5-11, 0-3 WAC
UT Rio Grande Valley 5-10, 2-1 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,3,4,2,5)