PHOENIX – Seattle U women’s tennis, competing in their second match of a three-game stretch of Western Athletic Conference play this weekend, took on Chicago State on Saturday afternoon in an attempt to get back into the win column following yesterday’s loss to Grand Canyon. Although Seattle showed some serious promise, the Cougars ultimately prevailed over the Redhawks, 5-2.
In singles play, Seattle U started off hot, as to no one’s surprise sophomore Hannah Gianan triumphed over her opponent with a 6-4, 6-4 win and a point for the Redhawks. Gianan’s match was quickly followed by classmate Kyra Jung’s gritty 0-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory, which earned a second point.
“Congratulations to Kyra for coming back after the first set to win it in three. She settled herself down and forced her opponent to earn every point,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “I also want to say ‘awesome job’ to Hannah Gianan for continuing her winning ways. She didn’t let up or let an ‘off day’ become the determining factor, and stuck to her game plan.”
Senior Lily-Ana Kreutzer also took her opponent to three sets, albeit with a different result, in a 6-3, 2-6, 2-6 loss. A trio of freshman rounded out the Redhawks’ lineup: Alisa Sabotic (2-6, 0-6), Jillian Rasmussen (2-6, 4-6) and Martina Asciuto (3-6, 3-6).
In doubles play, Gianan and Kreutzer battled their way to a 7-6 (11-9) win over CSU’s Anastasii Goncharova and Iesha Shepherd. Junior Kali McCollister and freshman Hannah Grossman only just missed the mark in a 5-7 final, while Jung and Asciuto also fell, 3-6.
“It was a well-fought match," Coach Barnes said. "We were very close at our number one and number three doubles – they really went for it – and number two doubles also worked very hard.”
The Redhawks hope to find a win on Sunday, March 24, as they conclude the three-game stretch of WAC play at 9:00 AM against UTRGV on a neutral court.
Seattle U vs. Chicago State
March 23, 2019 at Phoenix, Ariz.
(GCU Tennis Facility)
Chicago State 5, Seattle U 2
1. Gianan, Hannah (SU) def. Goncharova, Anastasii (CSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Drazic, Katarina (CSU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Pukhavea, Kristina (CSU) def. Sabotic, Alisa (SU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Borodina, Diana (CSU) def. Rasmussen, Jillian (SU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Shepherd, Iesha (CSU) def. Asciuto, Martina (SU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Morgoshia, Lizi (CSU) def. Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Gianan, Hannah/Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) def. Goncharova, Anastasii/Shepherd, Iesha (CSU) 7-6 (11-9)
2. Drazic, Katarina/Borodina, Diana (CSU) def. Jung, Kyra/Asciuto, Martina (SU) 6-3
3. Morgoshia, Lizi/Pukhavea, Kristina (CSU) def. Grossman, Hannah/McCollister, Kali (SU) 7-5
Seattle U 5-10, 0-2 WAC
Chicago State 7-11, 1-1 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,5,4,6,1,2)