PHOENIX – For their first match of conference play, Seattle U women’s tennis headed to the outdoor courts at Grand Canyon University on Friday to face off against the Lopes, who were also competing for their first conference win. Only one team could walk away on with the win, however, and that team was GCU, who posted a final score of 6-1.
Sophomore Hannah Gianan started singles play off strong in a three-set victory over Grand Canyon’s Emilia Occhipinti, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6). In the number three spot, freshman Alisa Sabotic (1-6, 7-6 [7-4], 0-1 [6-10]) had her own stellar three-set match, only just missing out on the win. Sophomore Kyra Jung put up quite a fight in a 2-6, 3-6 loss, while freshman Aranza Alvarez-Sanabria (1-6, 0-6) made her debute in the number four spot. Junior Kali McCollister (1-6, 0-6) and senior Lily-Ana Kreutzer (1-6, 1-6) rounded out the lineup for the Redhawks.
Seattle U showed some promise in doubles play, but were unable to find the opportunities that they needed to come out on top. Gianan and Kreutzer fell, 3-6, to Occhipinti and Celina Buhr of GCU, followed by Alvarez-Sanabria and freshman Jillian Rasmussen’s own 3-6 loss. The fresh pairing of McCollister and freshman Hannah Grossman battled valiantly, but were also defeated, 0-6.
“Of course, I’m sad that we couldn’t get the win in conference play, but I’m proud of the team for fighting,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “Going from indoor to outdoor play is no easy task. I don’t think that the final score reflects our quality of play.”
The Redhawks hope to right the ship tomorrow with another conference matchup against Chicago State, held on a neutral court in Phoenix. The match is scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM PT.
Seattle U vs. Grand Canyon
March 22, 2019 at Phoenix, Ariz.
(GCU Tennis Facility)
Grand Canyon 6, Seattle U 1
1. Gianan, Hannah (SU) def. Occhipinti, Emilia (GCU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Morel, Celia (GFU) def. Jung, Kyra (SU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Buhr, Celina (GCU) def. Sabotic, Alisa (SU) 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (10-6)
4. Lo Pumo, Martina (GCU) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, Aranza (SU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Infantino, Ludovica (GCU) def. McCollister, Kali (SU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Prudhomme, Autum (GCU) def. Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Occhipinti, Emilia/Buhr, Celina (GCU) def. Gianan, Hannah/Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 6-3
2. Lo Pumo, Martina/Infantino, Ludovica (GCU) def. Rasmussen, Jillian/Alvarez-Sanabria, Aranza (SU) 6-3
3. Morel, Celia/Prudhomme, Autum (GCU) def. Grossman, Hannah/McCollister, Kali (SU) 6-0
Seattle U 5-9, 0-1 WAC
Grand Canyon 6-7, 1-0 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,4,2,1,3)