PULLMAN, WASH. – Seattle U women’s tennis took on the Brigham Young Cougars in a neutral-court matchup on Saturday morning, attempting to bounce back from Friday’s loss to Washington State. Despite some tough, gritty matches, however, they came up just short in a 4-3 loss.
Sophomore Hannah Gianan started off the #1 singles with a tough 6-3, 6-3 victory, while junior Kali McCollister (6-2, 6-3) and senior Lily-Ana Kreutzer (6-2, 6-3) posted wins of their own in a pair of smartly-played matches. In the #2 spot, sophomore Kyra Jung just barely lost 4-6, 4-6 to BYU’s Anastasia Abramyan. Freshmen Jillian Rasmussen (0-6, 2-6) and Martina Asciuto (1-6, 1-6) rounded out the Redhawks’ lineup.
Doubles play was just as tightly-matched, with the senior-freshman duo of Kreutzer and Rasmussen squeezing out a 7-5 victory and the Gianan/Jung tandem barely falling 4-6 to their Cougar opponents. Asciuto and McCollister teamed up to take on Samantha Smith and Taylah Beckman of BYU, but were ultimately defeated 6-2.
“Things could have gone either way,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “Lily-Ana and Jillian overcame a number of momentum swings to tough it out for the win in doubles. We just couldn’t find consistent shot selection to win the other two matches.
In singles, Hannah (Gianan) found the right rhythm after some early struggles to get the win. Hats off to Kali and Lily-Ana at #5 and #6 for sticking with our game plan and not getting frustrated when things weren’t going well. They both held their ground to come up with our second and third points. All in all, we’re a solid team – just trying to work out the kinks.”
Next, the Redhawks have some time off before taking on George Fox on Friday, March 8 at the Amy Yee Tennis Center in Seattle. Play begins at 2:30 PM PT.
Seattle U vs. Brigham Young
Feb. 23, 2019 at Pullman, Wash.
(Washington State University)
Brigham Young 4, Seattle U 3
- Gianan, Hannah (SU) def. Cusick, Kate (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
- Abramyan, Anastasia (BYU) def. Jung, Kyra (SU) 6-4, 6-4
- Malykh, Polina (BYU) def. Rasmussen, Jillian (SU) 6-0, 6-2
- Almeida, Madeline (BYU) def. Asciuto, Martina (SU) 6-1, 6-1
- McCollister, Kali (SU) def. Menshykova, Alina (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
- Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) def. Hall, Morgan (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
- Cusick, Kate/Abramyan, Anastasia (BYU) def. Gianan, Hannah/Jung, Kyra (SU) 6-4
- Kreutzer, Lily-Ana/Rasmussen, Jillian (SU) def. Malykh, Polina/Almeida, Madeline (BYU) 7-5
- Smith, Samantha/Beckman, Taylah (BYU) def. Asciuto, Martina/McCollister, Kali (SU) 6-2
Seattle U 4-6, 0-0 WAC
Brigham Young 4-2, 0-0 WCC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,1,2,6,5)