Despite splitting the singles points, the Seattle University women's tennis team dropped its regular season finale against Northern Arizona 4-3 Sunday at the Sammamish Club in Issaquah, Wash.
Senior Katrina Schwab (Spokane, Wash.) led the way for the Redhawks in her final collegiate match. She needed just two sets to dispatch Ghizelene Doballah of Northern Arizona 6-3, 6-0. Schwab enters next week's Great West conference tournament on a three-match individual winning streak.
Sarah Lucas (Las Vegas, Nev. ) also earned a point for Seattle U with a singles win. At number six singles, she outlasted the Lumberjacks' Alice Walker 6-7, 6-2, 1-0(10-7) for her 16th win of the year. Lindsey Newman (Freeland, Wash.) claimed the final point for the Redhawks when her opponent, Hannah Stone retired in the second set. Newman was up 6-3, 1-0 at the conclusion of the match.
The dual was in doubt until the end of the fifth singles match, where NAU's Alice Pacaut defeated Seattle U's Corinne Wurden (Poulsbo, Wash.) 6-4, 6-1.
The Redhawks opened the match by losing the crucial doubles point. At number three singles, Mikaela Peterson (Spokane, Wash.) and Aya Sugimoto (Poulsbo, Wash.) lost 8-4 to the Lumberjacks' duo of Walker and Pacaut. The doubles point was decided at number two doubles, where Newman and Nicole Nakaoka (Honolulu, Hawaii) fell 8-3 to NAU's team of Stone and Johanna Vang.
Seattle U (12-13) looks to bounce back from the loss at the Great West Conference Tournament next weekend. The tournament, hosted by the University of Texas Pan-American, begins Saturday, April 21 in Harlingen, Texas.
Northern Arizona 4, Seattle University 3
Sammamish Club-Issaquah, Wash.
1. Doballah/Wahinepio (NAU) def. Schwab/Wurden (SEA) 8-3
2. Vang/Stone (NAU) def. Newman/Nicole Nakaoka (SEA) 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Katrina Schwab (SEA) def. Ghizelene Doballah (NAU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Lindsey Newman (SEA) def. Hannah Stone (NAU) by default (6-3, 1-0 when Stone withdrew)
3. Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SEA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Johanna Vang (NAU def. Anna Lambert (SEA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Alice Pacaut (NAU) def. Corinne Wurden (SEA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sarah Lucas (SEA) def. Alice Walker (NAU) 6-7(7-5), 6-2, 1-0(10-7)
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6