BROWNSVILLE, TEXAS – Seattle U men’s tennis faced #3 Kansas City in the first round of the Western Athletic Conference Men’s Tennis Championships on Friday at the Brownsville Tennis Center in Brownsville, Texas. Despite some solid opportunities for the Redhawks, UMKC ended up earning the victory, 4-0, after scoring the go-ahead point to move on to the tournament semifinals.
Junior Alex Chan started things off in singles with a 2-6, 3-6 loss to Kansas City’s Hunter Clark, while freshman Billy Givens-Jensen (3-6, 1-6) started off strong but was unable to fully overcome his opponent’s furious onslaught. In the last completed singles match, junior Adrian Alvarez-Sanabria made a comeback attempt in the second set, but ultimately lost 0-6, 2-6. Junior Arshak Ghazaryan (0-6, 5-4) and sophomores Colton Weeldreyer (6-7) and Emilio Monroy (5-7, 1-4) were in the middle of their own promising matches when the day was called – as a result, those duels were unfinished.
Seattle U fielded their best pairings in doubles play, but just could not stop the Roos. Weeldreyer and Ghazaryan fell 3-6 in the number one spot, followed shortly by Givens-Jensen and Chan’s 3-6 loss in the number two matchup. Alvarez-Sanabria and Monroy were leading 4-3 in their match when Kansas City clinched the round.
“We had our chances,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “I have learned a lot over the past five months as head coach – now, we will all take the time to reflect on the future and the elements and directions that we need to utilize to make our team more competitive.”
WAC Championships Match #2
#6 Seattle U vs. #3 Kansas City
April 26, 2019 at Brownsville, Texas
(Brownsville Tennis Center)
Kansas City 4, Seattle U 0
1. Giraldo, Diego (UMKC) vs. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 7-6 DNF
2. Stride, Ben (UMKC) vs. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-0, 4-5 DNF
3. Kruse, Tom (UMKC) vs. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 7-5, 4-1 DNF
4. Clark, Hunter (UMKC) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-2, 6-3
5. O’Connor, Neil (UMKC) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Patel, Anil (UMKC) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Giraldo, Diego/Stride, Ben (UMKC) def. Weeldreyer, Colton/Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-3
2. Clark, Hunter/Patel, Anil (UMKC) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy/Chan, Alex (SU) 6-3
3. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian/Monroy, Emilio (SU) vs. O’Connor, Neil/Kruse, Tom (UMKC) 4-3 DNF
Seattle U 0-1
Kansas City 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,5,6)