LAS CRUCES, N.M. – Seattle U men’s tennis opened conference play on Saturday morning against Grand Canyon in a neutral-court matchup in Las Cruces, N.M. Although they showed some serious grit in both doubles and singles, the Redhawks were swept by the Lopes, 7-0.
Junior Adrian Alvarez-Sanabria had the best outing for Seattle U in singles play, putting up a tough fight in a 2-6, 3-6 final. Sophomore Colton Weeldreyer started off strong, posting one set of 3-6 before succumbing in the second set, 0-6. Conversely, freshman Billy Givens-Jensen (0-6, 2-6) had a slow first set before making a valiant comeback attempt. Junior Arshak Ghazaryan (2-6, 2-6) stayed consistent throughout his match, as did classmate Alex Chan (1-6, 1-6); sophomore Emilio Monroy had similar results in his 1-6, 2-6 loss.
The Redhawks fared better in doubles play. Ghazaryan and Weeldreyer swept their opponents in the first match, 6-0, while Monroy and Alvarez-Sanabria just barely missed out on the win in a 5-7 duel. Junior Trenton Nield teamed up with Chan to try and wrest a point from the Lopes, but were ultimately overcome, 1-6.
Seattle U’s conference slate continues at 9:00 AM on Sunday, March 31, when they face UT Rio Grande Valley on a neutral court in Las Cruces.
Seattle U vs. Grand Canyon
March 30, 2019 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Center)
Grand Canyon 7, Seattle U 0
1. Fucile, Lorenzo (GCU) def. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Rajaonah, Mathieu (GCU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Lang, Valentin (GCU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Grego, Lucas (GCU) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Grant, Freddie (GCU) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Novak, Jakub (GCU) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Fucile, Lorenzo/Rajaonah, Mathieu (GCU) 6-0
2. Lang, Valentin/Novak, Jakub (GCU) def. Monroy, Emilio/Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 7-5
3. Grego, Lucas/Grant, Freddie (GCU) def. Nield, Trenton/Chan, Alex (SU) 6-1
Seattle U 4-8, 0-1 WAC
Grand Canyon 13-5, 2-0 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,6,1,5,3,2)