EDGEWOOD, WASH. – In their last weekend before conference play begins, Seattle U men’s tennis faced the Big Sky’s Eastern Washington on Saturday afternoon at the Jupiter Tennis Center. Although a number of the matchups were incredibly close, the Redhawks ended up losing, 7-0, to the Eagles.
Sophomore Colton Weeldreyer started off strong in singles play with a 6-2 set over Eastern Washington’s Jeremy Field, but just barely lost the next two, 6-7, 8-10. Fellow sophomore Emilio Monroy also kept things tight in a 6-7, 4-6 defeat, while junior Arshak Ghazaryan (4-6, 6-7) also put up a solid fight. The other half of the roster showed some promise as well: juniors Alex Chan (4-6, 1-6) and Trenton Nield (3-6, 2-6) had strong starts, and classmate Adrian Alvarez-Sanabria (2-6, 3-6) picked up steam in the final set.
In doubles, Weeldreyer and Monroy picked up the Redhawks’ only win of the day in a 6-2 victory. Chan and freshman Billy Givens-Jensen teamed up in a 3-6 loss, while the familiar duo of Nield and Ghazaryan (2-6) were unable to prevail in their own match.
“We are still struggling to find our identity as a team this year,” said Assistant Coach Chris Borden. “We fought hard today, but just couldn’t come through. Hopefully, we can play with a bit more confidence tomorrow.”
The next match for Seattle U will be played at the Tennis Center at Sand Point on Sunday, March 17, where they take on Pacific at 10:45 AM.
Seattle U vs. Eastern Washington
March 16, 2019 at Edgewood, Wash.
(Jupiter Tennis Center)
Eastern Washington 7, Seattle U 0
1. Field, Jeremy (EWU) def. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 2-6, 7-6, 10-8
2. Khachatryan, Mikayel (EWU) def. Nield, Trenton (SU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Balce, Manuel (EWU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Bats, Martin (EWU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Mueller, Jeremy (EWU) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Doumen, Wout (EWU) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Field, Jeremy/Khachatryan, Mikayel (EWU) def. Nield, Trenton/Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-2
2. Weeldreyer, Colton/Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Bats, Martin/Mueller, Jeremy (EWU) 6-2
3. Balce, Manuel/Doumen, Wout (EWU) def. Chan, Alex/Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-3
Seattle U 3-7, 0-0 WAC
Eastern Washington 3-8, 1-4 Big Sky
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,6,4,1,3)