EUGENE, ORE. – Seattle U men’s tennis ends their first weekend of spring play with an 0-2 record, having lost 1-6 to Portland State on Saturday and falling 0-7 to Oregon on Sunday afternoon. The day’s match gave the Redhawks an opportunity to battle against multiple nationally-ranked individuals, allowing them to gain valuable experience against elite competition.
The #2 doubles match saw juniors Arshak Ghazaryan and Adrian Sanabria face the Ducks’ fearsome duo of fifth-ranked Thomas Laurent and 99th-ranked Emmanuel Coste, falling 6-3 in the closest-scoring match of the day. Ultimately, Oregon claimed victory in all three matchups, earning them the doubles point.
In singles, the Ducks also swept the board, with Ghazaryan and Laurent meeting up once again in the #1 match. Ghazaryan (2-6, 1-6) and junior Alex Chan (1-6, 3-6) provided the tightest clashes in the singles field. Rounding out Seattle U’s lineup were Sanabria (0-6, 0-6), sophomore Emilio Monroy (1-6, 0-6), and freshman Billy Givens-Jensen (1-6, 1-6) and Jim Bauer (1-6, 1-6).
Head Coach Joey Barnes remains optimistic about the future despite the team’s rough start. "This was a great experience for my guys to play against a PAC-12 team,” he said. “After the match, I spoke with the guys about keep their heads up and walking with pride. Each of them agreed that we are taking small steps toward improvement. We view teams like Oregon as examples of where we want to be and what we wish to achieve in the future.
“I am proud of my guys,” he emphasized. “They know and accept this challenge as just another stepping stone. It was a tough weekend, but the season isn't over yet."
The Redhawks will take the rest of January to hone their skills before a rematch against Portland State, starting at 11:30 PM at the Jupiter Tennis Center in Edgewood, Wash.
Seattle U vs Oregon
Jan. 20, 2019 at Eugene, Ore.
(Student Tennis Center)
Oregon 7, Seattle U 0
1. #5 Thomas Laurent (ORE) def. Arshak Ghazaryan (SU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #99 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) def. Emilio Monroy (SU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Riki Oshima (ORE) def. Adrian Sanabria (SU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Joshua Charlton (ORE) def. Alex Chan (SU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Evan Felcher (ORE) def. Billy Givens-Jensen (SU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ethan Young-Smith (ORE) def. Jim Bauer (SU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #38 Armando Soemarno/Charles Roberts (ORE) def. Alex Chan/Emilio Monroy (SU) 6-1
2. Thomas Laurent/Emmanuel Coste (ORE) def. Arshak Ghazaryan/Adrian Sanabria (SU) 6-3
3. Ty Gentry/Joshua Charlton (ORE) def. Billy Givens-Jensen/Jim Bauer (SU) 6-0
Seattle U 0-2, 0-0 WAC
Oregon 2-0, 0-0 PAC-12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,6,5,2,1)