EUGENE, ORE. – Competing in their first team play matchup of the 2018-19 season, Seattle U men’s tennis lost 6-1 in a tough battle against Portland State on a neutral court at the University of Oregon.
The Vikings took the doubles point by winning all three matches, with the closest score (6-4) resulting from the #1 doubles match against Seattle U’s tandem of junior Alex Chan and sophomore Emilio Monroy.
In singles, the Redhawks’ lone point came from Chan’s victory in the #4 slot over Portland State’s Sam Roberts in three sets, 5-7, 6-1, 10-7. Monroy, in the #2 match, made a valiant comeback effort after losing the first set 6-2, but eventually lost the second set 5-7. Juniors Arshak Ghazaryan (2-6, 2-6) and Adrian Sanabria (3-6, 1-6) rounded out the upperclassmen, while freshmen Billy Givens-Jensen (4-6, 1-6) and Jim Bauer (0-6, 0-6) got their first taste of collegiate team play.
Head Coach Joey Barnes had plenty to reflect on after the afternoon’s match. “I am somewhat sad for the guys because they didn't come out on top, but it wasn’t too bad for a start,” he said. “A couple of deuce breaks here and there could have made a big difference in some of the matches. I want them to think positive even with this loss, and work on trusting themselves and believing in their shots.
“Alex was the standout player today - he really battled to the very end. After the first set, we chatted a little about a different strategy, which he implemented very well. I felt he started to build his confidences and his way of thinking. The result speaks for itself.
“We have another tough opponent tomorrow,” he finished. “I’m looking forward to learning more about my team."
Seattle U vs Portland State
Jan. 19, 2019 at Eugene, Ore.
(University of Oregon)
Portland State 6, Seattle U 1
1. Fortini, Matteo (PSU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Branco, Lucas (PSU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Edwards, Tommy (PSU) def. Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Chan, Alex (SU) def. Roberts, Sam (PSU) 5-7, 6-1, 10-7
5. Holtari, Otto (PSU) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Dimitrijevic, Nikola (PSU) def. Bauer, Jim (SU) 6-0, 6-0
1. West, Avery/Edwards, Tommy (PSU) def. Chan, Alex/Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-4
2. Fortini, Matteo/Branco, Lucas (PSU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-1
3. Roberts, Sam/Bukhari, Majeed (PSU) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy/Bauer, Jim (SU) 6-1
Seattle U 0-1, 0-0 WAC
Portland State 1-0, 0-0 Big Sky
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,5,1,2,4)