The bottom half of the singles lineup scored all three Redhawk points, as Flavio Malagutti (Rio Claro, Brazil), Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.), and Kyle Rapp (Encinitas, Calif.) all beat their competition from UC Riverside.
At number five singles, Bediones faced Kelly Dickson. Bediones earned a two-set victory, taking the match 6-2, 6-4. Malagutti, playing in the fourth singles position, took three sets to beat Luis Gastao. The two swapped set victories to begin the match, but Malagutti came out ahead in the third and took the match 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
Rapp needed a match tiebreak to take down Simon Peters at the sixth position, winning the match 2-6, 7-6, 1-0(10-8).
Bediones won two matches on the day, teaming up with Kevin Lynch (Colorado Springs, Colo.) to win in doubles. At the second doubles slot, the pair beat UC Riverside's duo of Luis Gastao and Kevin Griffin 8-3. That would be the only Redhawk doubles victory, however, as the Highlanders took the first and third doubles matches to claim the all-important doubles point.
The Redhawks take six days off before making the short jaunt down I-5 Saturday, March 31 to take on Pacific Lutheran in Tacoma, Wash., at 3:00 p.m.
UC Riverside 4, Seattle University 3
Darling Tennis Complex-Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Andres/Macherez (UCR) def. Shkrebtan/ Yusuke Kanehira (SU) 8-4
2. Lynch/Bediones (SU) def. Gastao/Griffin (UCR) 8-3
3. Peters/Roberts (UCR def. Meske/Rapp (SU) 8-3
1. Felix Macherez (UCR) def. Mark Shkrebtan (SU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) def. Simon Meske (SU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Austin Andres (UCR) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Flavio Malagutti (SU) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Jason Bediones (SU) def. Kelly Dickson (UCR) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kyle Rapp (SU) def. Simon Peters (UCR) 2-6, 7-6, 1-0(10-8)