OREM, UTAH – In the first day of competition at the Western Athletic Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships, freshman Nicole Whittern started things off with a bang for Seattle U track and field as she earned the bronze medal in the javelin throw, posting a personal-best heave of 40.20m in the preliminary round and subsequently beating that mark with a score of 41.53m in the finals. Sophomore Kyle Kennedy also scored for the Redhawks with a seventh-place PR in the 10k run of 32:47.59. It was Kennedy’s third-straight conference meet in which he placed in the top eight of his event, as he scored in the 3k steeplechase at the 2018 WAC Outdoor Championships and the 5k at the 2019 WAC Indoor Championships.
“What a big day for Nicole and Kyle,” said Head Coach Kelly Sullivan. “Nicole only threw in one meet this spring, and injured an area near her elbow in that meet. For the rest of the season, she and Coach Pharis worked strictly on her runway form and increased her strength and speed. Kyle ran his first 10k ever, and it was a brilliant race – Coach King and I very proud of him.”
Two other Redhawks joined Whittern in the javelin throw – freshman Tallia Sova won first place in her heat with a personal-best 35.21m and sophomore Jamie Hegg took third place in that same heat after posting a score of 32.86m. Freshman Jami Tresselt, competing in the hammer throw, finished with a final score of 37.29.
Kennedy had one fellow competitor in the men’s 10k run, senior Cal Davidson-Turner, who crossed the finish line in 33:50.72. On the women’s side, freshman Courtney Gelmini posted a personal-best 41:14.93.
Eighteen different Redhawks will compete tomorrow, with the first events kicking off at 9:30 a.m. PT.
- 100m dash: sophomore Michaela Moore
- 400m dash: freshman Regie Grady
- 800m run: junior Siobhan Rubio; freshman Ellie Postma
- 100m hurdles: junior Michelle Newblom
- 400m hurdles: freshman Nicole Golba
- 3k steeplechase: junior Shannan Higgins
- Long jump: senior Caylah Lunning
- Shot put: freshman Tallia Sova
- 100m dash: freshman Isaiah Payne
- 200m dash: freshman Isaiah Payne
- 800m run: sophomore Nathan Pixler; freshman Stewart Keene
- 400m hurdles: junior Steve Brown; freshmen Lucas Milne and William Sun
- 3k steeplechase: senior Eli Boudouris; freshmen Stephen Crocker and Ansel Pendley-Griffin