SEATTLE – Seattle University women’s basketball played a thrilling double-overtime game with Idaho on Wednesday, but the Vandals came away with a 90-84 decision in a non-conference bout at the Redhawk Center.

"I think this was a great mid-major game," said Coach Suzy Barcomb. "The crowd was electric and it's one of those games you love to be a part of. It's just tough to come up on the losing end of it. Without Kamira (Sanders), we knew people would have to step up and Olivia (Crawford) did a great job for us tonight."

The game was tied at 30 at halftime, 64 after four periods, and 75 after overtime before the Vandals finally took hold of the contest in the second extra frame.

After SU missed on the final shot of regulation, the teams headed to overtime even at 64. Olivia Crawford scored to give the Redhawks the lead and then Courtney Murphy sank a three-pointer, putting SU up by a point. A Crawford layup made it 71-68, and after an Idaho hoop, Crawford drilled a trey to put her side up, 74-70, with 1:27 showing on the clock. The hosts took a three-point lead late into the session, but Idaho evened the score with 14 seconds left. The Redhawks made a defensive stop to send the match to a second OT.

The visitors split four free throws to take the lead, which eventually ballooned to six. Murphy got into the paint and finished a three-point play to halve the deficit with 2:19 remaining. The sophomore hit a short jumper to pull the Redhawks within 81-80, but Idaho answered with a three to regain control. Chinwe Ezeonu made two foul shots and then a layup, but the visitors replied with baskets on their end to maintain distance and pull out the dramatic contest.

Murphy led with a season-high 22 points on 9-14 shooting. Crawford tallied a career-high 16 points to go with eight rebounds and four assists. Joana Alves added nine points and a career-high seven assists on the night. McKenzi Williams contributed 12 points and four boards.

Murphy made two early three-pointers to spark the offense. A Carla Bieg trey gave SU a 9-7 advantage with 5:32 left in the first quarter. Bieg and Olivia Crawford scored inside, but the visitors shot well and held a 21-14 margin after a period.

Alves found Murphy on a backdoor cut to open second-quarter scoring. Alves later hit Leilani Peat for a lay-in. After a Vandal three, Sarah Rahon sank a triple from the top of the key, making it 27-21 with 6:43 showing on the clock. Alves followed with a three-ball and then Bieg made a jumper to trim the deficit to two. Free throws by Crawford and Georgia Kehoe tied it up, as the teams entered halftime tied at 30.

Murphy started the second half with a pair of buckets to give the Redhawks a 34-30 lead. Idaho scored, but Alves converted on two foul shots. After a Vandal hoop, McKenzi Williams swished a trey to make it 39-35 with 7:02 remaining in the frame. Alves connected on a jumper, but the visitors grabbed the lead, going ahead, 48-41, with 3:22 to play in the third.

A Chinwe Ezeonu three-point play got SU within four. Murphy scored again and then Ezeonu split a pair at the line. Idaho scored at the buzzer, though, taking a 52-47 advantage into the fourth.

Rahon made two free throws and Alves swished a jumper as the Redhawks cut into their margin. Williams and Crawford took over down the stretch, carrying SU back into the contest. Williams nailed a triple and then made a layup. After a timeout, Crawford grabbed a rebound and scored on the other end to even the score at 58.

Williams followed with a jumper for a 60-58 edge with 3:17 remaining. After an Idaho three, Alves set up a Bieg layup to regain SU’s advantage. Crawford drove and hit another jumper to expand the lead, but the visitors tied the game with a late three and the Redhawks’ final trip came up empty, sending the contest to OT.  

Seattle U will make the short trip north to take on Washington on Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Alaska Airlines Arena.