SEATTLE --- Seattle U volleyball visits the Midwest later this week as it clashes with Chicago State and Kansas City. The Redhawks will open the slate on Thursday night when they stop over in the Windy City to take on the Cougars at 5 pm PT. The Redhawks will then wrap up their trip on Saturday at 11 am PT, when they visit the City of Fountains and tussle with the 'Roos.
THEY GOT HISTORY
CHICAGO STATE: Thursday will be the 14th Division I meeting between the Cougars and Seattle U, dating back to 2013, and the second showdown of the year ... the Redhawks led the series, 12-1, defeating CSU 3-1 earlier this season ... the Redhawks' lone loss to the Cougars was a three-set decision last season (11/8/18).
KANSAS CITY: Saturday will be the second meeting of the season, and the series' 16th NCAA Division I match-up all-time ... Seattle U is 6-9 against the 'Roos during that stretch ... the Redhawks were dealt a heartbreaker at home in the initial meeting of the season (10/12) as they fell in five sets.
A seventh-consecutive conference tournament appearance for Seattle U is possible if:
• ...Seattle U wins one or both of its matches
• ...CSU Bakersfield loses both matches (vs. NM State and California Baptist)
A GLIMPSE AT THE COUGARS
Chicago State began the week listed last in the Western Athletic Conference standings at 0-12, while holding a season mark of 4-22, having dropped its last 14 matches.
• Among the WAC statistical standings the Cougars are in the bottom half of the league in kills (6th/1140), kills per set (8th/11.75), hitting (9th/.144), blocks (9th/139) and blocks per set (1.43) ... Chicago State however is in the top third in digs (1st/1479) and digs per set (2nd/15.61).
• Megan Klavitter leads the defensive efforts with 5.15 digs per set and 458 total digs, placing the senior libero atop the WAC leaderboard in both categories and being listed 21st and 36th among Division I counterparts.
• Josi Borum is a versatile threat for the Cougars as she has three triple-double performances this season.
A GLIMPSE AT THE 'ROOS
Kansas City began the week ranked third in the WAC standings at 9-3, with a 13-9 record overall.
• The 'Roo attack is second among the WAC in kills per set (13.32) and third in hitting (.235), while the defense is fifth in digs per set (14.17) and seventh in blocks per set (1.93).
• Alicia Harrington and Tyrecia Lukes front the Kansas City offense ... Harrington averages 3.58 kills per set, second-best mark in the WAC, while Lukes is third among the WAC leaders hitting at a .354-clip.
• Setter Alli Schomers directs the offense averaging 10.30 assists per set.
WHERE WE RANK
Per NCAA Stats, the Redhawks began the weekend slate ranked 51st in team blocks (213.5), while among the WAC listed first in assists (1,115), second in aces (131), kills (1,190) and fifth in blocks per set (2.14).
• Tijana Milojevic: First among the WAC in service aces (35), third in total digs (407)
• Eve Kerschenbaum: Third in the WAC in kills (316), fifth in service aces (30)
• Julia Queiroz: Second in the WAC in blocks per set (1.14), fourth in total blocks (90)
Following the Midwest swing, Seattle U returns to the Redhawk Center for its final home date on Thursday, Nov. 14 when it hosts Utah Valley at 6 pm. The Redhawks will then head south for its regular season finale against California Baptist on Sunday, Nov. 17.