SEATTLE --- Seattle U volleyball (10-11, 1-6 WAC) visits Orem on Saturday, Oct. 19 to close the week as it takes on Utah Valley. First serve from Lockhart Arena is slated for 11 am PT.
LAST TIME OUT
Seattle U went 1-2 during its three-match home stand, defeating Chicago State last Thursday in four. The Redhawks however were dealt a tough five-set decision against Kansas City before falling in straight sets to California Baptist.
THEY GOT HISTORY
Saturday will be the first of two meeting this season between the Redhawks and Wolverines, but will be the 16th match-up since the 2008 campaign. Seattle U was swept (0-2) in the 2018 season series. The Redhawks’ last win in Orem was a five-set decision on Oct. 21, 2017.
A GLIMPSE AT THE WOLVERINES
Utah Valley heads into the weekend carrying a 7-12 mark overall, but is in the thick of the WAC standings at 4-3 and are coming off a three-set victory against Chicago State on Monday.
• Per NCAA Stats, Utah Valley is second in the WAC in digs per set (2.32) and 43rd nationally in team blocks (164.5)
• Heading into the weekend, the Wolverine attack is fifth in the WAC hitting (.186), while their opponent hitting percentage (.197) is also third-best in the WAC.
• Kazna Tarawhiti is hitting .185 with a WAC-best 3.88 kills per set (3.88). Jasmine Niutupuivaha is hitting .335 with 2.39 kills per set with a team-best 67 blocks (0.96/set).
WHERE WE RANK
Per NCAA Stats, the Redhawks went into Saturday listed among the nationally Top 20 in assists (14th/928), blocks (15th/185.5) and kills (16th/993) while ranking 44th among Division I teams with 113 service aces. As a result, Seattle U tops the Western Athletic Conference in assist, kills and aces charts and is second-overall in blocks.
THE LAST 5
In its last five matches, Seattle U hold a statistical advantages in kills (249-242) while hitting .202 The Redhawks are also averaging 1.85 blocks per set and 1.50 ace per set with 12.85 digs per set.
• Per NCAA Stats, sophomore Eve Kerschenbaum began the week as the WAC-leader in points (300.5) and kills (268). Nationally, she’s listed 45th and 46th, respectively.
• Kerschenbaum has 17 performances with 10 or more kills, including five in the last five outings.
• She has seven double-doubles this season.
• Per NCAA Stats, redshirt-junior Rachel Stark began the weekend listed fourth among WAC leaders in points (282.5) and kills (244).
• In the last five matches, Stark has a registered a team-best 69 kills, averaging 3.45 per set, with a healthy .250 hitting mark.
• Stark has 11 matches this season with 10+ kills and eight matches with double-digit digs, recording seven double-doubles along the way.
• Stark’s 621 career kills is 10th-best in the SU record book and 10 shy of passing former teammate Maja Stojanovic (2015-18) for ninth. She registered 376 kills in her first two seasons with a two-year average of 188 kills per season.
• Sophomore Julia Queiroz heads into the weekend ranked second among the WAC leaderboard in blocks per set (1.21) and total blocks (76), while nationally being listed 63rd and 57th, respectively. To date, Queiroz has recorded five or more blocks in a match eight times this season, including a season-high eight at Montana State (9/17).
• The middle blocker is hitting .205 and averaging 1.95 kills per set in her last five appearances and has a team-best 17 blocks in 20 sets.
• Junior Tijana Milojevic began the week ranked 15th among Division I leaders with 34 aces, surpassing her season-high of 31 set during the 2018 campaign. Her 82 career aces are sixth-best in Seattle U history since going the NCAA Division I ranks.
• The Belgrade, Serbia native is also third among the WAC leaders, 53rd nationally, in digs (323), while her 3.85 digs per set is sixth among league leaders.
• In the last five matches, Milojevic has recorded 11 aces and 80 digs.
• With 1,320 careers digs MIlojevic is second among Seattle U Division I career dig leaders and is 19 shy of passing Emily Deleissegues for the top spot. In her first two seasons, Milojevic averaged 4.51 digs per set averaged 498.5 digs in each of the last two seasons.
• Per NCAA Stats, Lauren McCabe is third among WAC leaders in blocks (69). The freshman is averaging 1.17 kills and 0.67 blocks in over the course of the last five matches.
• Sophomore Sofia Sanchez is third among the team offensive leaders with 45 kills in the last five matches, averaging 2.25 per set.
• Sophomore Kailee Kurokawa has directed the offense of late notching 193 assists, which included a career-best 52 assists last week against Kansas City. She has double-doubles in three of her last four outings.
Seattle U will continue with its three-match road trip next week when it visits UTRGV on Thursday, before stopping by NM State on Saturday.