FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
• Thursday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m.
• at UC Santa Barbara (Harder Stadium)
ABOUT THE GAME
• Seattle U (2-2-2) at UC Santa Barbara (3-2-0)
• All-time series-UCSB leads, 2-1-0
• Home-UCSB leads, 1-0-0
• Away-UCSB leads, 1-0-0
• Last meeting-Seattle U won, 2-0, at Championship Field (Sept. 2, 2018)
NEWS AND NOTES
• SU dropped a 3-0 contest to No. 8 Washington on Sept. 15 in the 2019 WAC/101 Club Cup.
• The Redhawks won the 2019 Caffe D’arte Coffee Cup, beating Portland, 2-0, on Sept. 12 at Championship Field. Noe Meza and Harrison Kurtz both scored, while Akili Kasim made a career-high five saves for his fourth shutout of the season.
• UC Santa Barbara is 3-2 after winning at Gonzaga and Oregon State last weekend.
• The Gauchos were voted to win the Big West, according to the preseason coaches’ poll. Noah Billingsley, Hunter Ashworth, and Rodney Michael were picked All-Big West Preseason.
• UCSB won 10 games last season before losing in penalty kicks to Cal State Fullerton in the first round of the Big West Conference Tournament.
• Seattle U played a scoreless draw with No. 2 Indiana on Sept. 8 at Notre Dame. Akili Kasim tallied his third shutout of the season, making a key save to keep the Hoosiers off the board in the second half.
• Akili Kasim was named WAC Defensive Player of the Week after posting shutouts of No. 12 Denver and No. 2 Indiana the week of Sept. 2-8. The redshirt sophomore recorded three clean sheets in his first four starts in net.
• In his first three games of 2019, redshirt junior Noe Meza has three goals to pace Seattle U.
• Seattle U played a scoreless draw with then-No. 12 Denver on Sept. 2 at Championship Field. Akili Kasim made one save in 110 minutes to claim his second shutout to open 2019.
• The contest with the Pioneers was the first 0-0 game at Championship Field since Sept. 30, 2012, when SU tied San Jose State.
• In the win over USF, SU held a 28-1 advantage in shots, including a 17-0 margin in the first half.
• Coach Pete Fewing is in his 26th season at Seattle U. Last year, he won his 300th career game at SU. Since 2013, he has taken the Redhawks to three NCAA Tournaments, winning three WAC Tournament crowns, and a pair of WAC regular-season titles.
• Midfielder Jesse Ortiz was named to TopDrawerSoccer’s Freshmen Best XI for the 2019 season.
• The Redhawks will face seven opponents who qualified for the 2018 NCAA Tournament this season.
• SU is one of just four Division I programs to win at least 11 games in each of the last six seasons. It faces two of the other three teams in 2019 (Denver and Notre Dame). Akron is the fourth program to achieve the feat.
• In 2018, the Redhawks won 13 games, including wins over Akron and Washington.