SEATTLE --- Seattle U volleyball wraps up non-conference play this weekend with at the UC Riverside Classic, where its set to face Penn and Cal State Fullerton on Friday, before closing with the host Highlanders on Saturday.
• The weekend opening match with Penn is the first meeting since the Redhawks’ return to Division I in 2008 ... the Quakers fell in five.
• Friday will be the first meeting with Cal State Fullerton since Sept. 2009 when it fell in straight sets.
• Seattle U is 3-0 against the Highlanders, downing them last season in five sets.
SCOUTING THE OPPOSITION
• PENN: The Quakers enter the weekend at 5-1 overall with a four-match win streak ... Penn went 3-0 last weekend blanking Duquesne and St. Francis Brooklyn while going five with Chicago State.
• CAL STATE FULLERTON: The Titans began weekend play with 7-2 mark, winning five of their last six matches ... earlier this season, Fullerton downed Eastern Washington in three before holding off Chicago State in five.
• UC RVIERSIDE: The Highlanders will open their home slate this weekend carrying a 4-5 mark ... UCR went 1-2 last weekend at the GCU Invitational with the lone victory coming against Eastern Washington ... it also fell at San Francisco in five earlier this month.
LAST TIME OUT
Seattle U visited Bozeman on Tuesday leaving the Big Sky Country with a five-set win over Montana State. Julia Queiroz, Eve Kerschenbaum and Rachel Stark each finished with double-figure kills, while Kerschenbaum and Stark notched double-doubles.
Per NCAA Stats, Seattle U as team is listed among the NCAA Top 45 in five categories:
• Team Blocks, 7th (105.5) — 1st WAC
• Team Attacks, 19th (1,483) —2nd WAC
• Team Kills, 20th (531) —2nd WAC
• Team Assists, 20th (493) —2nd WAC/
• Team Service Aces, 30th (65) — 1st WAC
• Team Digs, 44th (598) —2nd WAC
• Sophomore Eve Kerschenbaum enters the weekend leading the WAC leaderboard in kills (150) and points (168.5) As a result, she is ranked 32nd among NCAA kill leaders and 31st nationally in points.
• Her 3.66 per set is second among conference leaders and her 97 digs is 12th-overall.
• Has eight matches with double-digits kills including three of 20 or more.
• Surpassed the 20-kill mark twice during the season opening weekend including a career-best 24 against Southern Miss (8/30).
• Has a team-best six double-doubles on the season is averaging 13.6 kills and 8.8 digs a match.
• Redshirt-junior Rachel Stark began the weekend second on the Redhawk roster with 107 kills, good for sixth on the WAC leaderboard, while her 2.61 per set is 12th overall.
• Stark is coming off a big match at Montana State that saw her tally 15 kills and 19 digs for her third double-double of the season.
• She has a season-high of 17 kills, which were accomplished at New Hampshire (9/5) and against Holy Cross (9/7) during the Holly Young Invitational.
• Sophomore Julia Queiroz began the weekend with 57 blocks, topping the WAC leaderboard and good for third among NCAA leaders.
• Her 1.36 blocks per set is second among conference rankings and 44th nationally.
• Queiroz is coming off a big match at Montana State that saw her finish with 10 kills and eight blocks.
• Freshman Ezgi Ozkan’s 401 assists heading into the week is ninth-best on the NCAA leaderboard and tops among WAC counterparts, while her 9.11 assists per set is third in the WAC and 126th nationally.
• She has seven matches with 30 or more assists, including a career-best 51 which she tallied against Holy Cross (9/7).
• Ozkan has contributed on defense tallying 35 blocks, sixth among WAC leaders and 133rd in the NCAA.
• Junior Tijana Milojevic’s 161 digs heading into the weekend is the third-best mark among the WAC and 68th on the NCAA chart.
• Her 19 aces meanwhile top the conference leaderboard and list her among the NCAA top 25 (23rd).
Seattle U will return to the nest on Thursday, Sept. 26 when it opens Western Athletic Conference action against UT Rio Grande Valley at the Redhawk Center with first serve slated for 6 pm. Singe-match and season volleyball tickets are still available either by visiting GoSeattleU.com/tix or by contacting the Seattle U Athletic Ticket Office by phone at 206-398-GOSU (4678).