SEATTLE - An electric night at Championship Field ended in victory for Seattle University men’s soccer with a 2-0 win over the University of Portland in the 2019 Café D’Arte Coffee Cup. Tonight’s result marks the Redhawks’ fourth shutout in five games.

A lightning storm in the area caused an hour-plus delay midway through the second half, with SU ahead, 1-0.

Senior Noe Meza opened the scoring midway through the first half with Harrison Kurtz doubling the lead late in the second. Mesa’s goal was his fourth in five games to start the 2019 campaign. 

The Redhawks' (2-1-2) opening goal came from a set piece 28 minutes into the first half off of a flick from Meza. Sophomore Declan McGlynn whipped in a low corner kick to the near post to the on-rushing Meza who knocked a deflection off the Portland keeper with the outside of his right boot. 

“I’m really pleased with the win and pleased with the shutout,” said Coach Pete Fewing. “Harrison’s goal was huge and really took the wind out of their sails.” 

The goal was long-coming for Fewing’s men who dominated possession in the midfield from the opening whistle, with the duo of Julian Avila-Good and Hal Uderitz dispersing the ball to the deadly outside tandem of McGlynn and Burke Fahling who leaked havoc on the flanks. 

Seattle U’s defense, who has shutouts against No. 2 Indiana as well as top-25 Denver to start the season, shutdown attempts from Portland’s (2-2-1) speed through the middle to put out any real chance at goal for the Pilots. Nkosi Burgess and Sam Tessler consistently won aerial duels anchored possession for the home side to close out the first half with a 1-0 lead. 

A lightning delay ten minutes into the new half bolstered Portland’s attack, allowing the visitors to open up the game in the midfield and getting shots off of balls over the top. 

“Portland puts a ton of pressure on you. We had to weather their pressure over and over again.”

Kurtz ended the game emphatically with a tap in at the back post in the 81st minute. Freshman Jesse Ortiz beat his man one-on-one and rocketed a shot off the near post that got the friendly bounce to the feet of Kurtz, slotting in SU’s second of the night.

The Redhawks resume play this Sunday in the WAC/101 Cup against No. 8 Washington. Kick-off is set at 6 p.m.