SEATTLE – Seattle University baseball heads to Phoenix for four games this week, beginning Tuesday, April 16 at Arizona State. First pitch from Phoenix Municipal Stadium is set for 6:30 p.m. For the most up-to-date information on game day, be sure to follow the Redhawks on Twitter at @seattleubase.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
SU: LHP Desmond Parisotto (0-0, 3.18 ERA) vs. Arizona State: TBA
The Redhawks and Sun Devils have one previous meeting in Seattle U's modern day history. The two teams met on May 16, 2017 at Bannerwood Park, with Arizona State winning, 6-4.
- Seattle U sits at 8-25 overall and 4-8 in Western Athletic Conference play after going 1-2 in a three-game series against league-leader Sacramento State last weekend.
- Pitcher Jarrod Billig picked up his second win in as many starts. The sophomore lefty struck out two and scattered seven hits while allowing just one run in 6.1 innings. Tyler Yeh earned the save, his second on the year.
- Austin Lively had the best success at the plate against the league's best pitching staff, batting 7-for-10 with a home run, three runs scored and four RBI.
- In the series finale against the Hornets, the Redhawk pitching staff fanned 16 batters, a season high. Josh Thompson collected 10 of those strikeouts over the course of just four innings of work.
- The Sun Devils mark the Redhawks' second Pac-12 opponent this season. The Redhawks have also faced Washington (twice). They were scheduled to play at Washington State earlier this month, but the game was cancelled due to weather.
- Offensively for the season, Kyler Murphy leads the Redhawks with a .348 batting average, going 23-for-66 in 25 games played.
- Freshman Kyle Sherick is batting .323 with a team-high 42 hits, while Austin Lively is hitting .298 with 39 hits.
- Jake Taylor leads the Redhawks with 28 RBI after launching his fourth homer of the season in the series against Sac State. Justin Mazzone is not far behind with 25 RBI, aided by six doubles and a team-high five homers.
- Jake Prizina has been one of the most consistent presences on the mound for the Redhawks with a 2.45 ERA while also holding opponents to a .224 batting average. The senior southpaw has struck out 39 while walking just seven in 55.0 innings.
- Prizina is climbing up the list in a number of program all-time records. Entering this week, he already holds the all-time records strikeouts (237), innings pitched (300.0) and starts (43). He also ranks second in wins (19) and eighth in total appearances (67). Tarik Skubal (2015-16, 18) holds the career record for wins with 21 while the all-time appearances record is held by Garrett Anderson (2012-15) with 83.
- Jake Prizina was named WAC Pitcher of the Week and PerfectGame.org National Pitcher of the Week following his complete-game shutout of the Rebels on opening day. The senior southpaw scattered five hits and struck out five while walking just one to earn the win. It marked the first nine-inning complete game for the Redhawks since 2014 and just the third overall since Seattle U resurrected its baseball program in 2010.
- The 2019 season marks the 10th year of Redhawk baseball since the program was resurrected in 2010 as part of the University's return to NCAA Division I athletics.
- One of the youngest teams Head Coach Donny Harrel has managed in his 10 seasons at Seattle U, the 2019 Redhawks' active roster features 13 freshmen, seven sophomores, six juniors and six seniors.
- The Redhawks return 17 letterwinners from 2018, a squad that went 34-23 – the second most wins in Redhawk program history.
- Senior LHP Jake Prizina, junior third baseman Austin Lively and sophomore catcher/designated hitter Justin Mazzone all earned a spot on the 14-man Preseason All-WAC Team. It is the first such honor for all three Redhawks.
- Prizina is the Redhawks' top returning starting pitcher after back-to-back stellar seasons as a sophomore and junior. The Sparks, Nev., native went 8-1 with a 3.82 ERA in 2018. He fanned 92 while walking just 16 in 99 innings.
- Lively was one of four players to start all 56 games in 2018. He hit .316 while collecting 65 total hits - second most on the team. He added 10 doubles, two triples, two home runs, eight stolen bases and a team-high 48 runs scored.
- Mazzone collected a team-high .339 batting average during his rookie campaign for the Redhawks. He started 29 games and appeared in 49. In 115 at bats, the Huntington Beach, Calif., native had 39 hits, including five doubles and three home runs, while driving in 19 runs and scoring 17 times.
- The Redhawks earned 54 points and were selected fourth in the WAC preseason poll, as voted on by the league's 10 head coaches. Grand Canyon was the preseason favorite to win the 2019 WAC title with five first-place votes and 75 points, while the Lopes' Quin Cotton and New Mexico State's Brock Whittlesey were selected as the preseason Player and Pitcher of the Year, respectively. The Aggies earned three first-place votes and 74 points, while Sacramento State had two first-place votes and 69 points.
GET YOUR TICKETS!
Single game tickets are available for all remaining Seattle U baseball home games during the 2019 season. For more information, visit goseattleu.com/tix or contact the SU Athletics Ticket Office at 206-398-GOSU or firstname.lastname@example.org.