CHICAGO – Seattle U women’s tennis played in their fourth conference match of the season on Friday morning against New Mexico State on a neutral court in the Windy City. Although they started off strong and fought to the last point, the Redhawks ended up with the short end of the stick in a 4-3 loss.
The Redhawks and the Aggies split the singles matches, with the first three going to Seattle U and the final three in favor of New Mexico State. Sophomore Hannah Gianan found her stride in a 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory over the Aggies’ Rebecca Keijzerwaard in the number one spot, while classmate Kyra Jung dispatched opponent Lindsay Harlas 6-3, 6-2, and freshman Alisa Sabotic showed some serious mettle in her own 6-4, 6-4 win. Junior Kali McCollister came incredibly close to earning a point in a three-set match, but just barely missed out in a 6-0, 4-6, 5-7 final. Rounding out the lineup were senior Lily-Ana Kreutzer (1-6, 3-6) and freshman Martina Asciuto (1-6, 2-6).
Just as they did in singles, Seattle U came out hot in doubles play. Gianan and Kreutzer battled their way to a 6-4 win in the first match, but the other two duos had less success. Jung and freshman Hannah Grossman finished their match with a score of 3-6, and the ferocious onslaught of McCollister and Asciuto was not enough to stop the Aggies in the third spot, which ended with a 2-6 score.
“I love my team, and my heart is heavy for them after this tough day,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “We had two match points in singles that would have pushed us in front or given us the win, and we had several chances in doubles.
“I make sure to stress to the team that these are the types of pressure situations that we should embrace as well as cherish,” he continued. “Life will be full of these types of challenges, and what’s important is how we deal with it, win or lose. If we do our very best and come up short, then so be it. What we learn and take away, as well as how we handle it, is such a valuable lesson as a competitor and a person.”
Seattle U takes to the court again tomorrow, April 6, for an 8:00 AM conference matchup against UMKC.
Seattle U vs. New Mexico State
April 5, 2019 at Chicago, Ill.
(H-F Racquet & Fitness Club)
New Mexico State 4, Seattle U 3
1. Gianan, Hannah (SU) def. Keijzerwaard, Rebecca (NMSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Jung, Kyra (SU) def. Harlas, Lindsay (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Sabotic, Alisa (SU) def. Challa, Harsha (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Torregrosa, Neus (NMSU) def. Asciuto, Martina (SU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Rubio, Yadira (NMSU) def. McCollister, Kali (SU) 0-6, 6-4, 7-5
6. Gavino, Chloe (NMSU) def. Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Gianan, Hannah/Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) def. Challa, Harsha/Kalaga, Gavi (NMSU) 6-4
2. Rubio, Yadira/Harlas, Lindsay (NMSU) def. Jung, Kyra/Grossman, Hannah (SU) 6-3
3. Gavino, Chloe/Keijzerwaard, Rebecca (NMSU) def. McCollister, Kali/Asciuto, Martina (SU) 6-2
Seattle U 5-13, 0-4 WAC
New Mexico State 11-7, 3-1 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,3,2,1,5)