SEATTLE – After a heartbreaking loss on Saturday, Seattle U men’s tennis righted the ship on Sunday, March 17 with a decisive 6-1 victory over Pacific University at the Tennis Center at Sand Point. The Redhawks swept the singles matches, only surrendering two doubles matches for the Boxers’ lone point of the day. Seattle U moves to 4-7 on the season as they pick up momentum heading into conference play.
“Everyone went out and took care of business in singles play,” said Assistant Coach Chris Borden. “We need to play doubles with more purpose and conviction – it will be critical as we move into our conference matches.”
In the number one singles match, sophomore Colton Weeldreyer easily defeated Pacific’s Sean Murphy in a 6-1, 6-0 victory. He was followed by fellow sophomore Emilio Monroy, who posted a solid 6-2, 6-1 win of his own, and junior Arshak Ghazaryan, who triumphed 6-3, 6-3, over his opponent. Junior Trenton Nield, on the other hand, competed in a real nailbiter before coming out on top, 7-6, 7-5; classmate Alex Chan looked to be headed in the same direction before settling down in a 7-5, 6-2 win. In the last match, junior Adrian Alvarez-Sanabria nabbed the Redhawks’ last point, 6-3, 6-2.
The number one doubles match featured a Seattle U victory, as Ghazaryan and Nield teamed up to beat Pacific’s Rayden and Koby Murata, 6-3. The Boxers came roaring back in the next two matches, however, as Weeldreyer and Monroy fell, 1-6, and the duo of Chan and freshman Billy Givens-Jensen lost, 4-6.
Next, the Redhawks head to Las Cruces, N.M., for the beginning of conference play as they face Grand Canyon on Saturday, March 30.
Seattle U vs. Pacific
March 17, 2019 at Seattle, Wash.
(Tennis Center at Sand Point)
Seattle U 6, Pacific 1
1. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Murphy, Sean (PU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Nield, Trenton (SU) def. Murata, Rayden (PU) 7-6, 7-5
3. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) def. Miyagawa, Reyn (PU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Hu, Joey (PU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Chan, Alex (SU) def. Chung, Jonathan (PU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) def. Katayama, Garret (PU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Nield, Trenton (SU) def. Murata, Rayden/Murata, Koby (PU) 6-3
2. Hu, Joey/Miyagawa, Reyn (PU) def. Weeldreyer, Colton/Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-1
3. Murphy, Sean/Chung, Jonathan (PU) def. Chan, Alex/Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-4
Seattle U 4-7, 0-0 WAC
Pacific 7-2, 3-1 NWC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,3,2,5,6)