CHICAGO – (April 14) The Seattle University men’s tennis team got off to a great start in the last Western Athletic Conference weekend of the regular season with a 6-1 victory over Chicago State on Saturday afternoon at the H-F Racquet and Fitness Club.
Defending WAC doubles team of the week, Matt Alderson and Colton Weeldreyer led the way for the Redhawks with a 6-3 win against Chicago State’s top doubles team. Despite the Cougars winning the second match on the second court, the Redhawks earned the doubles point with a win at court #3 by default.
In singles, the Redhawks played well on all courts, and clinched the conference win with the first three matches. Jeremiah Kalmus won his match at #6 by default, Alex Chan won at #5 6-2, 6-0, and Emilio Monroy secured the win with a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 win at #4, making it 4-0. Weeldreyer and Arshak Ghazaryan followed with two more wins for SU at the third and second court. Weeldreyer won 6-2, 7-5, while Ghazaryan took his match 2-6, 6-3, 10-7.
“Great team effort by the guys today,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “We played aggressive and with a lot of intensity all match which was great to see. We fought hard on every court and everyone played with a lot of heart. We’re excited and ready for a super tough UTRGV team tomorrow morning.”
The Redhawks will battle UTRGV in the last regular season match of the year at 7 a.m. in Chicago tomorrow.
Tennis Match Results
Seattle vs Chicago State
Apr 14, 2018 at Homewood, IL
(H-F Racquet and Fitness Club)
Seattle 6, Chicago State 1
- Savard, Felix (CSU) def. Nield, Trenton (SU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-1)
- Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) def. Wattley, Rohan (CSU) 2-6, 6-3, 10-7
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Botha, George (CSU) 6-2, 7-5
- Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Gonzalez, Christian (CSU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
- Chan, Alex (SU) def. Wurzelbacher, Cody (CSU) 6-2, 6-0
- Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) def. No player (CSU), by default
- Weeldreyer, Colton/Alderson, Matt (SU) def. Gonzalez, Christian/Savard, Felix (CSU) 6-3
- Wattley, Rohan/Botha, George (CSU) def. Nield, Trenton/Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-4
- Ghazaryan, Arshak/Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. No player/No player (CSU), by default
Seattle 9-12, 1-3 WAC
Chicago State 5-17, 0-4 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,3,2,1)
Official: Ginger Bulat T-2:52 A-40