KANSAS CITY, Mo. – (April 1) Matt Alderson and Colton Weeldreyer paired up to beat New Mexico State’s top doubles team 7-6, but the Seattle University men’s tennis team dropped the overall match 7-0 to the Aggies on Saturday afternoon at the Plaza Tennis Center.
Alderson and Weeldreyer’s win at #1 doubles
“Colton and Matt played a great doubles match but we didn’t bring it on the other two courts,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “The challenge was to bring more intensity into the singles, and I think the guys responded well to that. We’re right there in these matches, we’ll just stay positive and keep working and believing.”
The Redhawks competed well in the singles matches, but couldn’t capitalize on any of the courts. Arshak Ghazaryan played the toughest match at #2, where he won the first set 6-2, lost the second set 7-6, and then lost the last set 11-9 in a hard-fought battle.
“Arshak fought amazingly in his singles match and left everything he had on the court, Reeb said. “Colton fought so hard too, and was right there as well.”
Weeldreyer lost a close first set 7-6, before losing the second set 6-2.
The Redhawks come home for their last home match of the season on April 7 at the SU Tennis Courts. They will host North Dakota in a non-conference matchup at 5 p.m.
Seattle U vs New Mexico State
(Plaza Tennis Center)
New Mexico State 7, Seattle U 0
1. Goncalves, Chris (NMSU) def. Nield, Trenton (SU) 6-1, 6-2
2. de Haan, Stijn (NMSU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 2-6, 7-6, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Espias, Sergi (NMSU) def. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 7-6, 6-2
4. Asmar, Enrique (NMSU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Benitez, Mauri (NMSU) def. Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Menard, Louis (NMSU) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Weeldreyer, Colton/Alderson, Matt (SU) def. Goncalves, Chris/Espias, Sergi (NMSU) 7-6
2. de Haan, Stijn/Benitez, Mauri (NMSU) def. Nield, Trenton/Schoettler, Michael (SU) 6-0
3. Asmar, Enrique/Menard, Louis (NMSU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-1
Seattle U 7-12, 0-3 WAC
New Mexico State 12-6, 3-0 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,6,1,4,3,2)