SEATTLE - (March 2) The Seattle University men’s tennis team played host to Portland State and dropped a close match 4-3 Friday night at the Tennis Center at Sand Point.
Despite having to make some adjustments, the Redhawks came out with a big victory in doubles. After losing the first match in the first flight, Arshak Ghazaryan and Emilio Monroy tied it with a 6-3 win at #3. Then, Jeremiah Kalmus and Alex Chan sealed the point with a 6-4 win at #3.
SU had the 1-0 lead heading into singles, but Vikings fought back. Kalmus won the first singles match at #4, but Portland State then won the next two to tie it 2-2. Needing two more wins in the last three matches, the Vikings did just that. Colton Weeldreyer won his match 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 at #2, but the visiting team then took the last two to complete the come-from-behind win on the road.
“It was a battle as always with Portland State,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “We had to change our doubles lineup at the last minute due to injuries and other things, and I thought the guys responded really well. We played with great energy there and took the doubles point. Jeremiah Kalmus played a really solid singles match and Colton Weeldreyer competed tough in his match, but unfortunately we couldn’t find that last point out there. I’m proud of our effort though, and we’ll take a rare weekend off from competing to recover and freshen up for our trip to California next weekend. We’re looking forward to getting some outdoor matches in there.”
The Redhawks will compete in the Golden State Invitational in California from March 9-11. They’ll open with a match against UC Davis on Friday at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Portland State vs Seattle U
Mar 02, 2018 at Seattle, Wash.
(Tennis Center at Sand Point)
Portland State 4, Seattle U 3
- BONIEL, Nathan (PSU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-3, 6-1
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. WEST, Avery (PSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- EDWARDS, Tommy (PSU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 7-5, 6-7, 6-1
- Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) def. HOLTARI, Otto (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
- ROBERTS, Sam (PSU) def. Alderson, Matt (SU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
- BUKHARI, Majeed (PSU) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-2, 6-4
- EDWARDS, Tommy/WEST, Avery (PSU) def. Weeldreyer, Colton/Alderson, Matt (SU) 6-1
- Ghazaryan, Arshak/Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. BONIEL, Nathan/SOUZA, Gabe (PSU) 6-3
- Kalmus, Jeremiah/Chan, Alex (SU) def. ROBERTS, Sam/HOLTARI, Otto (PSU) 6-4
Portland State 7-4
Seattle U 6-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3)