SEATTLE – (Feb. 11) The Seattle University men's tennis team lost the doubles point to start the match, but fought back to secure a 4-3 win on Sunday morning at the Tennis Center at Sand Point for its third straight win.
Idaho State took the first two doubles matches 6-4, taking the point and an early 1-0 lead over SU.
But the Redhawks didn't let down and battled back in singles. Colton Weeldreyer set the tone once again with a win at #3, 5-0 (won by retirement). Emilio Monroy followed with a 6-3, 6-3, at #4 and gave SU a 2-1 advantage over Idaho State at the time. The Bengals went on to win the next two matches at flights one and two, needing only one more win to take the match. It came down to courts five and six, where Michael Schoettler won the first set 6-2, but lost the second 2-6. Needing the win to keep SU alive, Schoettler battled and won the third set 7-6 to tie the match 3-3. Then Jeremiah Kalmus took care of business at court #6 7-5, 6-2 to hand the Redhawks the 4-3 victory, and their third in as many matches.
“Today was an incredible effort by the guys,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “We lost a tough doubles point, and the team responded with great heart and fight. I was especially happy for Michael Schoettler who hung tough and pulled out a clutch win for us.”
The Redhawk will ride their three-game winning streak into Wednesday when they host UCLA at the Mercer Island Country Club at 6:30 p.m.
“We're very excited about the opportunity to host UCLA on Wednesday evening, and we hope everyone can come out and watch these guys play,” Reeb said.
Tennis Match Results
Idaho State vs Seattle U
Feb 11, 2018 at Seattle, Wash.
(Tennis Center at Sand Point)
Seattle U 4, Idaho State 3
- Peter Trhac (IDST) def. Nield, Trenton (SU) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- David Felix (IDST) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 7-5, 7-6
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Francis Filipovich (IDST) 5-0, retired
- Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. William Edin (IDST) 6-3, 6-3
- Schoettler, Michael (SU) def. Keegan Sullivan (IDST) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
- Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) def. Adam Hornby (IDST) 7-5, 6-2
- Peter Trhac/David Felix (IDST) def. Nield, Trenton/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-4
- Adam Hornby/William Edin (IDST) def. Kalmus, Jeremiah/Schoettler, Michael (SU) 6-4
- Ghazaryan, Arshak/Chan, Alex (SU) vs. Keegan Sullivan/Francis Filipovich (IDST) 6-6, unfinished
Idaho State 3-4
Seattle U 3-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2); Singles (3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6)