SPOKANE, Wash. – (Feb 4) The Seattle U men's tennis team collected its first win of the season with a 9-0 shutout against Whitworth University on Sunday afternoon.
After struggling and losing their first three games of the season, the Redhawks put it all together and won every match of the day. Because Whitworth is DIII, rules were different and every doubles match counted as a point.
The domination all started with doubles, where SU took care of business in all three courts. Arshak Ghazaryan and Emilio Monroy won their match 6-3, Colton Weeldreyer and Alex Chan took their match 6-4, and Matt Alderson and Adrian Sanabria won the last match 7-5 to take a commanding 3-0 lead due to the different rules.
In singles, Weeldreyer continued his strong weekend, winning his match at #2 6-0, 6-1, giving him a 2-1 record in singles for the weekend. Ghazaryan, Monroy, Alderson, Chan and Sanabria all contributed to the 9-0 win with victories in their singles matches, making assistant head coach Chris Borden very happy with that strong performance from his team.
Tennis Match Results
Seattle U vs Whitworth University
Feb 04, 2018 at Spokane, Wash.
Seattle U 9, Whitworth University 0
- Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) def. Jake Bethards (WU) 6-1, 6-3
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Kincaid Norris (WU) 6-0, 6-1
- Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Ian Fisher (WU) 6-2, 6-1
- Alderson, Matt (SU) def. Ben Bethards (WU) 6-4, 6-1
- Chan, Alex (SU) def. Thomas Remmington (WU) 6-0, 6-2
- Sanabria, Adrian (SU) def. Nick Hughes (WU) 6-1, 6-2
- Ghazaryan, Arshak/Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Ben Bethards/Thomas Remmington (WU) 6-3
- Weeldreyer, Colton/Chan, Alex (SU) def. Kincaid Norris/Jake Bethards (WU) 6-4
- Alderson, Matt/Sanabria, Adrian (SU) def. Ian Fisher/Nick Hughes (WU) 7-5
Seattle U 1-3
Whitworth University 0-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6)