CHENEY, Wash. – (Feb. 3) The Seattle U men’s tennis team looked to get on the win column, but Eastern Washington defeated the Redhawks 4-3 on Saturday evening.
EWU jumped out ahead with a big doubles point after winning all three matches, but the Redhawks weren’t going down easily.
Already behind a point to start singles, SU lost at court #3, to go down 2-0. Then, on court #2, Colton Weeldreyer would give the Redhawks a much needed spark with a strong 6-4, 6-4 victory. The Eagles’ put a quick stop to it though, winning the next two matches to secure the win. Jeremiah Kalmus at #5, and Matt Alderson at #6 won their matches 6-4, 7-5, and 6-3, 6-2, respectively to end the match 4-3.
After being disappointed Friday night, assistant coach Chris Borden felt much better about Saturday’s match.
“Our singles play was much cleaner today,” Borden said. “Hopefully we will find some rhythm in doubles moving forward. We will try to bring everything together tomorrow against Whitworth.
Tennis Match Results
Seattle U vs Eastern Washington
Feb 03, 2018 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 4, Seattle U 3
- PAZ, Scott (EWU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. RAVEAU, Flavien (EWU) 6-4, 6-4
- FIELD, Jeremy (EWU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-2, 6-1
- BATS, Martin (EWU) def. Schoettler, Michael (SU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
- Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) def. ALMEIDA, Ricardo (EWU) 6-4, 7-5
- Alderson, Matt (SU) def. PEREIRA, Victor (EWU) 6-3, 6-2
- PAZ, Scott/RAVEAU, Flavien (EWU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-1
- FIELD, Jeremy/PEREIRA, Victor (EWU) def. Schoettler, Michael/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-4
- ALMEIDA, Ricardo/BATS, Martin (EWU) def. Alderson, Matt/Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (3, 2, 4, 1, 6, 5)