SEATTLE – (Nov. 11) Seattle University men’s basketball opens its 18-game home slate on Sunday, Nov. 12, hosting local opponent University of Puget Sound in the Connolly Complex. Tip-off is set for 4:00 p.m. and the game will stream live on the WAC Digital Network. Fans can also tune in to KTTH 770 AM in Seattle or online at mynorthwest.com as Dave Grosby and Gary Hill, Jr. return for their ninth season on air for the Redhawks.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
- Sunday, Nov. 12 at 4:00 p.m. PT
- Connolly Complex, Seattle, Wash.
- Game Notes
- Live Stats
- Watch on WAC Digital Network
- Listen on KTTH 770 AM
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (0-1) vs. Puget Sound (0-0)
- All-time series - Seattle U leads, 25-24
- Home - Seattle U leads, 14-10
- Away - Puget Sound leads, 12-10
- Neutral - Seattle U leads, 1-0
- Unknown - Puget Sound leads, 2-0 (1945-46 season)
- Last meeting - Seattle U 87, Puget Sound 85 (2003-04 season)
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Redhawks are coming off a 62-46 season-opening setback at Saint Louis on Friday night. Jordan Hill, a graduate transfer guard from Wisconsin, debuted with a 20-point effort on 7-of-12 shooting against the Billikens. Redshirt sophomore Matej Kavas added 15 points and six boards.
- The Redhawks are under the diretion of new Head Coach Jim Hayford. The veteran coach was appointed at Seattle U on March 29, 2017 after six seasons at Eastern Washington. Hayford has 18 total seasons as a head coach, amassing an overall record of 360-175 (.673). Along with the new coaching staff, there are 11 new faces in the Redhawks’ program, including seven who are eligible to compete this season, and four others who will redshirt the 2017-18 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Redshirt sophomore guard Matej Kavas was named to the 2017-18 Preseason All-WAC Second Team by both the league’s eight head coaches and voting members of the media. Kavas earned the 2016-17 WAC Freshman of the Year award. He played in 27 games during his rookie season, averaging 8.6 points and 2.9 rebounds per game. His numbers rose during WAC play as he averaged 11.6 points and 3.7 rebounds per game.
- The Redhawks were selected fifth in both the 2017-18 Preseason Coaches and Media Poll. Grand Canyon was selected as the league favorite in both polls, followed by 2016-17 champ New Mexico State.
Puget Sound went 12-13 overall and 5-11 in the Northwest Conference in 2016-17. Head Coach Justin Lunt is in his 12th season at the helm of the Loggers’ program where he has collected 174 victories. The Loggers’ roster features just three seniors, two juniors and a combined 14 freshmen and sophomores. Assistant Coach Sterling Carter played three seasons (2010-11, 11-12, 12-13) at Seattle U.
GET YOUR 2017-18 TICKETS!
Nine-game KeyArena-only season ticket packages for the 2017-18 season remain on sale starting at $54 per seat. Call 206-398-GOSU (4678) or visit GoSeattleU.com/SUTickets for more information. Select single-game tickets for the Redhawks’ 18 home games are available through Ticketmaster.com by searching “Seattle University Men’s Basketball.”