SEATTLE – (Sept. 6) Seattle University returns home to host Mercer on Thursday, Sept. 7. The non-conference game is set for a 7 p.m. kickoff at Championship Field.
FOLLOW THE REDHAWKS
ABOUT THE GAME
- Seattle U (2-1-0) vs. Mercer (0-2-2)
- All-time series-First-ever meeting
- Last meeting-N/A
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Redhawks dropped a 2-1 decision at Portland on Friday. Medo Youssef scored, as SU outshot the Pilots, 15-3, including an 11-1 disparity in the second half.
- Mercer tied, 1-1, with Winthrop and Gardner-Webb in its last two outings.
- Seattle U opened the 2017 season with a pair of impressive 1-0 victories at Championship Field last weekend. The Redhawks took down Loyola Marymount on Aug. 25 before beating No. 20 New Mexico on Aug. 27. Noe Meza and Nathan Aune scored SU’s goals as Seattle U moved its home winning streak to 18 games, the longest active such string in the nation.
- The Bears won the 2016 SoCon Championship, earning an automatic bid in the NCAA Tournament. They lost, 1-0, to South Carolina in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
- SU entered the United States Soccer Coaches Association (USSCA) Top 25 at No. 25 the week of Aug. 28. It marked the Redhawks’ first appearance in the poll since last August.
- Junior Nathan Aune earned WAC Defensive Player of the Week honors after two stellar showings to open the season. Aune was key in the Redhawks holding their opponents to 10 total shots over two outings last weekend. It marks the first weekly award for the Arlington, Wash., native.
- Pete Fewing is in his 24th overall season as SU’s head coach. He has won 276 games in his career.
- Brad Ruzzo enters his 10th season with the Bears. He took Mercer to the 2016 SoCon Championship and NCAA Tournament.