The Seattle University women’s tennis team picked up the key doubles point in a close contest, and used that momentum to win the majority of the singles contests, defeating Eastern Washington, 5-2, Sunday.
Corinne Wurden (Poulsbo, Wash.) and Kristen James (Lubbock, Texas) eased past their opponents in the number three doubles position, 6-1. The number one doubles set went to a tiebreaker, with Kelli Woodman (Denver, Colo.) and Barbara Carey (Seattle, Wash.) pulling out the 7-6 victory by winning the tiebreaker, 7-1, to give Seattle U the doubles point.
Sarah Lucas (Las Vegas, Nev.) earned Seattle U’s second point with a straight-set victory at number four singles (6-2, 6-0), and Woodman followed with a victory in the number two position in a super-tiebreaker, 10-6. Wurden clinched the match for the Redhawks with a straight-set win in the number six position (6-1, 6-3), and Gabriella Weissmann (Simi Valley, Calif.) closed out the scoring with a victory at number five singles in straight sets (6-4, 6-3).
“I am so proud of the team, who played with courage throughout the weekend. As a result, we defeated Gonzaga for the first time, and then we closed out the trip with a solid win over Eastern Washington. This was a total team effort,” assistant tennis coach Mark Hooper said.
Seattle University (3-7) heads south to Green Meadows Tennis Club in Vancouver, Wash., to face Portland State next Saturday, Feb. 15, starting at 4 p.m. The Redhawks will then play three straight home matches at Sand Point, facing Utah State, Gonzaga, and Arizona.Seattle University 5, Eastern Washington 2Sunday, February 9, 2014 – Cheney, Washington
- Kelli Woodman/Barbara Carey (SU) def. Moira Hedberg/Katrina Domingo (EWU): 7-6 (7-1)
- Erin Blessing/Dani Young (EWU) def. Gabriella Weissmann/Sarah Lucas (SU): 6-1
- Corinne Wurden/Kristen James (SU) def. Brittany Ellingsen/Alyssa Nagai (EWU): 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Moira Hedberg (EWU) def. Anna Lambert (SU): 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
- Kelli Woodman (SU) def. Erin Blessing (EWU): 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
- Dani Young (EWU) def. Barbara Carey (SU): 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
- Sarah Lucas (SU) def. Katrina Domingo (EWU): 6-2, 6-0
- Gabriella Weissmann (SU) def. Brittany Ellingsen (EWU): 6-4, 6-3
- Corinne Wurden (SU) def. Malieva Hedberg (EWU): 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 6, 5