Just a couple of key points in both singles and doubles proved to be the difference Sunday, as Weber State slid past Seattle University, 4-3, in men’s collegiate tennis action.
After Kevin Lynch (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.) cruised to a 6-1 victory in number one doubles, both the number two and number three doubles sets went to a tiebreaker. Unfortunately, neither Will Topp (Olympia, Wash.) and Zach Kosanke (Bellevue, Wash.) nor Ian Clare (Sachse, Texas) and Riley Newman (Whidbey Island, Wash.) were able to prevail, as Weber State took both tiebreakers, 7-5, to win the doubles point.
Kosanke (6-4, 6-4) and Clare (6-3, 6-0) won their singles matches in straight sets, while Lynch split the first two sets with Jakub Gewert before shutting him out in the third set, 6-0. The key singles match came in the number five position, as Newman won the second set after losing the first set, but he could not complete the comeback, with Landon Barlow winning the third set, 6-4.
Seattle University (2-6) will head to Portland, Ore., next weekend for matches against Portland Friday, Feb. 14; Lewis and Clark College Saturday, Feb. 15; and Liberty Sunday, Feb. 16.Weber State 4, Seattle University 3Sunday, February 9, 2014 – Ogden, Utah
- Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones (SU) def. Sanjay Goswami/Oliver Good (Weber): 6-1
- Jakub Gewert/Todd Fought (Weber) def. Will Topp/Zach Kosanke (SU): 6-5 (7-5)
- Landon Barlow/Caio Poitena (Weber) def. Ian Clare/Riley Newman (SU): 6-5 (7-5)
- Kevin Lynch (SU) def. Jakub Gewert (Weber): 6-5 (7-1), 4-6, 6-0
- Todd Fought (Weber) def. Will Topp (SU): 6-4, 6-4
- Zach Kosanke (SU) def. Oliver Good (Weber): 6-4, 6-4
- Ian Clare (SU) def. Caio Poitena (Weber): 6-3, 6-0
- Landon Barlow (Weber) def. Riley Newman (SU): 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Sanjay Goswami (Weber) def. Jason Bediones (SU): 6-2, 6-2