The Seattle University men’s tennis team played its last road match of the 2013 dual season Sunday, falling 5-0 to Idaho State at the Reed Gym Courts in Pocatello, Idaho.
The Redhawks opened up the match losing two doubles matches, giving the doubles point to Idaho State. At No. 1 doubles, Kevin Lynch (Colorado State, Colo.) and Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.) took on Nate Gross and Charles Norman of Idaho State, falling 8-4. At No 3 doubles, Kyle Rapp (Encinitas, Calif.) and Flavio Malagutti (Rio Claro, Brazil) lost to Krzysztof Stempien and Andres Coello 8-3 for the second ISU doubles victory, clinching the point for the Bengals.
At No. 2 doubles, Zach Kosanke (Bellevue, Wash.) and Ian Clare (Sachse, Texas) took on Christian Marian and Jamey Swiggart. That match was stopped once ISU guaranteed themselves the doubles point with the score 6-5 in favor of ISU.
The singles portion saw two matches go to three sets, but the Redhawks lost all four individual contests that finished. At No. 6 singles, Malagutti forced three sets by taking the first set against Austin Miller via a tiebreak, 2-7. Malagutti lost the second set 6-3, however, and fell in the third-set super tiebreak 10-4, giving the match to Miller.
Atop the singles lineup, Lynch also won the first set of a three-set affair. He won the first set via a tiebreak as well, taking the set 6-7(7-4) ove the Bengals' Marian. He fell in the second set 6-3, and also lost a third-set super tiebreaker 10-4 to end the competition.
At No. 2 singles, Kosanke pushed Norman to an extra game in the first set, falling 7-5, but lost the second 6-1. In the other match that finished, the No. 5 singles contest, Bediones fell 6-4, 6-2 to Swiggart.
Two matches were stopped once ISU hit 5: in the third singles position Clare faced off against Stempien while Rapp took on Gross in the fourth singles spot.
The Redhawks (1-21, 0-5 WAC) will round out the season with two matches at home this week. On Tuesday, April 16, they take on Pacific Lutheran at 4:00 p.m. on the Seattle University Tennis Courts in Seattle, while they close out WAC play Sunday, April 21 by squaring off against UTSA at Amy Yee Tennis Center, also in Seattle. The season finale against the Roadrunners will start at 2:00 p.m.
Idaho State 5, Seattle University 0
1. GROSS, Nate/NORMAN, Charles (ISU) def. Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones (SU) 8-4
2. MARIAN, Christian/SWIGGART, Jamey (ISU) vs. Zach Kosanke/Ian Clare (SU) 6-5, unfinished
3. STEMPIEN, Krzysztof/COELLO, Andres (ISU) def. Kyle Rapp/Flavio Malagutti (SU) 8-3
1. MARIAN, Christian (ISU) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 10-4
2. NORMAN, Charles (ISU) def. Zach Kosanke (SU) 7-5, 6-1
3. STEMPIEN, Krzysztof (ISU) vs. Ian Clare (SU) unfinished
4. GROSS, Nate (ISU) vs. Kyle Rapp (SU) unfinished
5. SWIGGART, Jamey (ISU) def. Jason Bediones (SU) 6-4, 6-2
6. MILLER, Austin (ISU) def. Flavio Malagutti (SU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 10-4