The Seattle University women’s tennis team dropped a tough match Friday, losing 6-1 to Western Athletic Conference foe Idaho in Moscow, Idaho.
The Redhawks started the match off by claiming the doubles point. At No. 3 doubles, Corinne Wurden (Poulsbo, Wash.) and Kristen James (Lubbock, Texas) tallied their ninth win as doubles partners after dispatching the Vandals’ Beatriz Flores and Alejandra Lozano. In the second doubles slot, Sarah Lucas (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Lindsey Newman (Freeland, Wash.) also tallied their ninth doubles win together by taking down Constance Alexander and Belen Barcenilla 8-5.
The Redhawks couldn’t extend their doubles successes to the singles matches, however. Idaho swept all six singles competitions, winning each one in two sets. At No. 5 singles, Wurden claimed six games in two sets, falling to Flores in straight 6-3 sets. In the second slot, Lambert took five games total in a 6-4, 6-1 loss to Sanz. Also, at Nos. 4 and 6 singles respectively, Lucas and Steffanie Mortera (Portland, Ore.) dropped 6-1, 6-2 decisions as Lucas fell to Barcenilla and Mortera squared off against Sophie Vickers.
Rounding out the lineup, Newman dropped a 6-2, 6-0 decision to Victoria Lozano at No. 1 singles, while Weissmann fell 6-1, 6-1 to Alexander in the third singles slot.
The Redhawks will return to the court Saturday, April 13, with their final WAC matchup of the year: a 10:00 a.m. showdown with UTSA in Moscow, Idaho.
Idaho 6, Seattle University 1
1. V. Lozano/Sanz (UI) def. Lambert/Weissmann (SU) 8-0
2. Lucas/Newman (SU) def. Alexander/Barcenilla (UI) 8-5
3. Wurden/James def. (SU) def. Flores/A. Lozano (UI) 8-3
1. Victoria Lozano (UI) def. Lindsey Newman (SU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Almudena Sanz (UI) def. Anna Lambert (SU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Constance Alexander (UI) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Belen Barcenilla (UI) def. Sarah Lucas (SU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Beatriz Flores (UI) def. Corinne Wurden (SU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Sophie Vickers (UI) def. Steffanie Mortera (SU) 6-1, 6-2