The Seattle University women’s tennis team continued conference play Saturday, falling to No. 61 Denver 4-0 in a neutral-site match held in Logan, Utah.
The Redhawks opened the match in doubles play where Denver won the first two contests 8-0. At No. 1 doubles, Lindsey Newman (Freeland, Wash.) and Sarah Lucas (Las Vegas, Nev.) lost to Sophia Bergner and Steffi Rath, while Steffanie Mortera (Portland, Ore.) and Gabriella Weissmann (Simi Valley, Calif.) lost to the Pioneers’ Emma Isberg and Mandy van den Eerenbeemt in the second doubles position.
Corinne Wurden (Poulsbo, Wash.) and Kristen James (Lubbock, Texas) also competed in doubles play, squaring off against Caroline Schnell and Michelle Garpenlov at No. 3 singles. That match was stopped once the other two doubles contests ended with the duo from Denver up 6-2.
Seattle U couldn’t get much going in singles play either. At No.1 singles, Newman fell to Bergner 6-1, 6-2 to begin the individual matches. The next match to finish was the third singles contest between Weissmann and Isberg, which Isberg claimed 6-1, 6-1. Finally, the Pioneers clinched the match once the second singles contest finished where Anna Lambert (Spokane, Wash.) fell to Schnell 6-1, 6-2.
Once Denver clinched the match, the three other singles contests going on were immediately stopped. At No. 4 singles, Lucas was facing Kathryn Hughes and was down by a score of 6-2, 4-2. At No. 5 singles, Wurden and Rath were halfway through the first set as Rath held a 3-2 advantage, but Wurden held the serve. Finally, James and Charlotte Derbyshire had just started playing at No. 6 singles when time was called. That score was at deuce in the first game of the first set.
Seattle U (5-13, 0-6 WAC) will play another Western Athletic Conference match Sunday, April 7, when they take on Utah State at 8:00 a.m. Pacific, again in Logan, Utah.
No. 61 Denver 4, Seattle U 0
1. Bergner/Rath (DU) def. Newman/Lucas (SU) 8-0
2. Isberg/van den Eerenbeemt (DU) def. Mortera/Weissmann (SU) 8-0
3. Wurden/James (SU) vs. Schnell/Garpenlov (DU) match stopped (score 6-2 DU)
1. Sophia Bergner (DU) def. Lindsey Newman (SU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Caroline Schnell (DU) def. Anna Lambert (SU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Emma Isberg (DU) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Sarah Lucas (SU) vs. Kathryn Hughes (DU) match stopped (score 6-2, 4-2 DU)
5. Corinne Wurden (SU) vs. Steffi Rath (DU) match stopped (score 3-2 DU)
6. Kristen James (SU) vs. Charlotte Derbyshire (DU) match stopped (score at deuce)
Order: 1, 3, 2