The Seattle University men's tennis team wrapped up the weekend with a 6-1 loss at Air Force Sunday in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Will Topp (Olympia, Wash.) won his second straight singles match Sunday, playing Grant Taylor at No. 2 singles. Topp took the first set 6-4, and went to a tiebreaker in the second, which Taylor won 6-7(7-4). The Seattle U freshman controlled the third set super tiebreak 10-3, however, and claimed the Redhawks sole point of the match.
Seattle U came close to winning two other singles matches. At No. 6 singles, Ian Clare (Sachse, Texas) swapped sets with Air Force's Jack McCullers with McCullers winning the first one 6-3 and Clare taking the second 2-6. McCullers outlasted Clare in the third set super tiebreak, however, and lost the match 6-3, 2-6, (10-7). In the fifth singles position, Kyle Rapp (Encinitas, Calif.) also played and lost a third set super tiebreak. Rapp beat the Falcon's Andy Jackson 4-6 in the first set, but lost 6-1 in the second and dropped the tiebreak 10-5.
At No. 1 singles, Kevin Lynch (Colorado Springs, Colo.) lost to Lance Wilhelm 6-4, 6-1, while Zach Kosanke (Bellevue, Wash.) lost to Alex Grubbs 6-0, 6-4 in No. 3 singles, and Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.) fell 6-0, 6-1 to Steven Young in the fourth singles spot.
The Redhawks also lost the doubles point to begin the match. Bediones and Lynch kicked off the match with an 8-3 loss to the Air Force duo of Grubbs and McCullers, and Topp and Kosanke fell to Wilhelm and Taylor 8-2 at No. 1 doubles to clinch the doubles point for Air Force. At No. 3 doubles, Rapp and Clare took four games from Air Force's Young and Jackson but lost in the end 8-4.
The Redhawks next take the court Friday, February 1st. They will head south for two matches that day, a 9:00 a.m. contest at Portland and a 5:00 p.m. showdown at Portland State.
Air Force 6, Seattle University 1
1) Wilhelm/Taylor (AF) def. Topp/Kosanke (SU) 8-2
2) Grubbs/McCullers (AF) def. Bediones/Lynch (SU) 8-3
3) Jackson/Young (AF) def. Rapp/Clare (SU) 8-4
Order: 2, 1, 3
1) Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-4, 6-3
2) Will Topp (SU) def. Grant Taylor (AF) 6-4. 6-7(7-4), (10-2)
3) Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Zach Kosanke (SU) 6-0, 6-4
4) Steven Young (AF) def. Jason Bediones (SU) 6-0, 6-1
5) Andy Jackson (AF) def. Kyle Rapp (SU) 4-6, 6-1, (10-5)
6) Jack McCullers (AF) def. Ian Clare (SU) 6-3, 2-6, (10-7)
Order: 4, 3, 1, 2, 6, 5