The Seattle University men's tennis team lost its first road match of the season Saturday, falling 7-0 to Oregon at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore.
The Redhawks put up a fight in multiple singles contests with the closest coming at No. 2 singles. Kevin Lynch (Colorado Springs, Colo.) hung tough with the Ducks' Daan Maasland throughout the match, winning three games in both sets, but losing in the end 6-3, 6-3. At No. 6 singles, Ian Clare (Sachse, Texas) played a tight first set with Brent Chin before falling 6-4, 6-1, and in the third singles position, Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.) also took five games from opponent Jeff Mullen but fell in the end 6-3, 6-2.
Will Topp (Olympia, Wash.) fell to Robin Cambier at the top the lineup 6-1, 6-2; while Flavio Malagutti (Rio Claro, Brazil) lost 6-0, 6-3 to Daniel Sardu at No. 5 singles. Rounding out the lineup, Kyle Rapp (Encinitas, Calif.) made his season debut Saturday, but fell 6-0, 6-2 to Alex Rovello in the fourth singles position to begin his year.
The Ducks kicked off the match by winning the doubles point, winning all three doubles matches. Rapp and Bediones hung tough at No. 2 doubles, taking four games from Oregon's pair of Sardu and Clissold, but fell in the end 8-4. Topp and Lynch lost to the Ducks' Mullen and Cambier 8-3 in the top doubles position, while Malagutti and Clare lost to Rovello and Lova Randriamampandry 8-2 at No. 3 doubles.
The Redhawks (0-2) will next head to Colorado Springs, Colo., where they take will take on Montana State, Northern Colorado, and Air Force. Seattle U will take on Montana State Friday, Jan. 25, Northern Colorado Saturday, Jan. 26, and the Redhawks conclude the trip playing Air Force on Sunday, Jan. 27.
Oregon 7, Seattle University 0
1) Jeff Mullen/Robin Cambier (ORE) defeated Kevin Lynch/Will Topp (SU) 8-3
2) Daniel Sardu/Aaron Clissold (ORE) defeated Kyle Rapp/Jason Bediones (SU) 8-4
3) Alex Rovello/Lova Randriamampandry (ORE) defeated Flavio Malagutti/Ian Clare (SU) 8-2
1) Robin Cambier (ORE) defeats Will Topp (SU) 6-1, 6-2
2) Daan Maasland (ORE) defeats Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-3. 6-3
3) Jeff Mullen (ORE) defeats Jason Bediones (SU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Alex Rovello (ORE) defeats Kyle Rapp (SU) 6-0, 6-2
5) Daniel Sardu (ORE) defeats Flavio Malagutti (SU) 6-0, 6-3
6) Brent Chin (ORE) defeats Ian Clare (SU) 6-4, 6-1