The Seattle University men's tennis team kicked off its 2013 dual season Friday, taking Gonzaga to the brink before falling by a score of 4-3 at the Amy Yee Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash.
The Redhawks saw two freshmen win key points in their first collegiate dual meet. Zach Kosanke (Bellevue, Wash.) won a 7-5, 6-2 decision in the third singles position over the Bulldogs' Hayden Smith, while Ian Clare (Sachse, Texas) brought down Gonzaga's Pablo Mosquera Perez in two sets, winning 6-3, 7-6(7-4) in the sixth spot.
Kevin Lynch (Colorado Springs, Colo.) nabbed the other Seattle U point by taking Levin Guillermo of Gonzaga to three sets at No. 2 singles. Lynch fell in the first set 4-6, but won the next two 6-3 and 6-4 and started his dual season off with an individual victory.
Elsewhere in singles play, freshman Will Topp (Olympia, Wash.) started atop the Redhawks' singles lineup in his collegiate debut, but fell 6-3, 6-1 to Gonzaga's top player, Alvaro Nazal. Also, at No. 4 singles, Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.) fell to Vladimir Mijatovic of Gonzaga 7-6(8-3) 6-3, and Flavio Malagutti (Rio Claro, Brazil) lost to Vicente Varas 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
The Redhawks nearly nabbed the crucial doubles point, winning one doubles match and falling in a tiebreak in another. The doubles point came down to the No. 2 match, where Lynch and Bediones swapped sets with Gonzaga's Smith and Varas. The match went into a tiebreak at 7-7, where the Gonzaga tandem outlasted SU 15-13 to clinch the victory and the additional point for Gonzaga.
Topp and Kosanke earned the doubles win for SU, taking down Mijatovic and Guillermo 8-3 at No. 1 doubles. In the third doubles position, Malagutti and Clare lost 8-3 to the Bulldogs' Nazal and Mosquera.
The Redhawks (0-1) next square off Saturday, Jan. 19 when they travel to Eugene, Ore., to face the Oregon Ducks. That match is slated to start at 9:00 a.m.
Gonzaga 4, Seattle U 3
1) Zach Kosanke/Will Topp (SU) def. Vladimir Mijatovic/Levin Guillermo (GU) 8-3
2) Hayden Smith/Vicente Varas (GU) def. Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones (SU) 8-7(15-13)
3) Alvaro Nazal/Pablo Mosquera Perez (GU) def. Flavio Malagutti/Ian Clare (SU) 8-3
Order: 1, 3, 2
1) Alvaro Nazal (GU) defeats Will Topp (SU) 6-3, 6-1
2) Kevin Lynch (SU) defeats Levin Guillermo (GU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3) Zach Kosanke (SU) defeats Hayden Smith (GU) 7-5, 6-2
4) Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) defeats Jason Bediones (SU) 7-6(8-6), 6-3
5) Vicente Varas (GU) defeats Flavio Malagutti (SU) 6-1, 6-1
6) Ian Clare (SU) defeats Pablo Mosquera Perez (GU) 6-3, 7-6(7-4)